new mac and D link router

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a new Mac book pro which i am trying to use with my DI-624 D link router. I have used this router with 2 other macs, but i can't get it working wirelessly on my new one. I currently have it working wirelessly with a PC no problem and with my G7 desktop mac via a USB wireless connection.

I have called both mac and d-link support and they can't seem to help.

So here's what happens. The router works via ethernet connection to the new mac book pro- no problem.

When i try to connect wirelessly it asks me for

username:
password:
The password has a choice of WPA, automatic, and 2 others.

I have tried using Username being network name, also tried my Mac personal username & mac password, also tried 'admin' and 'user' but none of them work.(as suggested on d link site)

I have also reset the password using Dlink site http://192.01 or whatever it is, to reset router settings.

After that, it works fine again with other 2 computers but not my new mac.
Incidently the other computers only ask for password, never user name.
The password which i set up was a 10 digit HEX password.

When i ring both d link and mac, they say- is shouldn't ever ask a "username" for log on but it does this everytime!

any ideas?

claire

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
If the other computers are being asked for a password, the you'll need to enter one on your mac as well.

10 digit hex is most likely a WEP password. If you log onto your router's configuration page (http://192.... or whatever it is) you should be able to set the type of encryption used under the wireless settings. Check whether it's WPA or WEP etc. and select the corresponding setting on your Mac when you're prompted for the password.

Side note: If it is WEP, you may want to choose WPA instead – WEP is very insecure.

Reaction score
I'd also go to network preferences/airport/advanced and delete all now networks so when you next connect you'll be starting from scratch by finding a 'new' network rather than it try to connect with old settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I have the same router and everything I read about it before hooking it up said it was a bit tricky to say the least. I followed the instructions to the "T" and everything just worked. Also when you're looking around in your network preferences just double check that your macbook pro is selecting "airport" and not "ethernet".

I only had to enter the username and password for my router one time and gave the macbook pro permission to always connect after that.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The only time you would be asked for both a username and password is logging into the routers configuration from a web browser. Never from Airport.

Do what Apt suggested and see how the router is set up.

Do not use WEP. It's so easily hacked. WPA or WPA2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.