Would like to learn Cinema 4D.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I was wondering, if any of you know of any good books to buy to learn Cinema 4D. Yes, I do know that there are a buttload of tutorials on the interweb, but I would rather learn the program from top to bottom from a book. Got any recommendations?

OP
iWhat

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
uh, cinema 4d is not the type of app where one day you just say: I'd like to learn how to use that app". if you won't use it professionally, or at work, it's a lot of time to take for something you won't use that often, in which case, knowing it from top to bottom won't help you any. just my
2cents.gif

OP
iWhat

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But I just love the stuff that people make with the app. Just about everything I do won't help me in the future. I do it more as a hobby. People bungee jump for fun; I like to make stuff for fun. It's just my guilty pleasure. :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
people that bungee jump for fun are nuts, I've sky dived, but Im not gonna bungee jump.
it does make cool stuff in that app, though if you get good enough at other apps like photoshop, illustrator, even lightwave, you can make things that will rival cinema 4d. it takes a long time, makes huge files, but its worth it to be that good, not that Im that good, but I come very close. but I guess it's good to do if you're very interested in it.

Reaction score
you might want to search on amazon under books for Cinema 4D. You will probably only get the basics though. Then you will , after a LONG time, learn little tips and tricks.

OP
iWhat

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just checked there, but the only thing is that all the book are either not rated or some get mix reviews. Darn!

R

richardjoly

Are you interrested in 3D or in Cinema 4D? If it is 3D, you can have a look at DV Garage ( http://www.dvgarage.com/prod/prod.php?prod=3dtk ). Check the 3D Toolkit. Excellent price and LOTS of tutorials comes with it. You will also find TONS of tools and tutorials with an EXCELLENT book on Electricimage at ( http://3dny.com )Look for Electricimage Uber Bundle. You can't go wrong with these at 200US$ total! For online help with this application check ( http://www.postforum.com/forums/list.php?f=9 )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
I use C4D regularly and have yet to find a comprehensive book on it. I got a starter book then used online tutorials, advice from work, and fiddling with the program. CGtalk.com and 3dBuzz have some video tutorials that have helped alot.

OP
iWhat

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you both richardjoly and deus_ex_machina, I'll definitely take your suggestions into consideration!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
BTW the starter book I got was Cinema 4D 7 by ?Meyer. They didn't change much from 7 to 8. The reviews on R8 book were bad but the version 7 teaches you basics then you can find separate books/tuts for using Expresso or MOCCA :) I use R8.5 which I heard is still similar to R9 that just came out. S&T is standard now - was separate in 8.5

Reaction score
I learned how to use the program from the online tutorials and by reading relevant sections the downloaded manual. If you have done a few tutorials then that's all you will need to get a basic working experience which in turn should grow once you have got started on a few projects of your own. It's a great program and one of the best 3D programs I've ever tried. I wanted to buy it but their is only one reseller in the Netherlands and they are not responding to my email's. Ridiculous really, no way of buying online here and I need to be able to claim the tax back.
Anyway, stick with it, Cinema 4D rocks !!! :cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.