• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple asks microsoft to stop 'Laptop Hunters' ads?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I think the bottom line is this - some of the ads mentioned Mac's costing X amount of dollars. Now that they lowered some prices the ads are not as true as they were at one point and time. I think a big deal is being made of nothing. Just my thoughts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I honestly cannot see Apple's legal department calling MS's COO directly and being all "hey stop that."

Furthermore, to be honest, a Mac can natively run Windows now, so is there any "real" need to buy a PC?

I've used and owned both systems in the past. I prefer a Mac simply for the OS. The only thing I cannot do on a Mac (for whatever reason), is FTP into my original modded Xbox to transfer media to it.

I was sick of constantly running virus/spyware scans and spending more time maintaining my system than actually using it.

I mostly used my PC for games. I had enough of "is this going to run OK even though my system exceeds the requirements?" I bought an Xbox 360 to play games on and haven't looked back.

The way I see it is, if a Windows-based computer works for you, then cool. If a Mac works for your needs, that's cool to.

Use the right tool for the right situation, whether it be Mac or PC.

Finally, a PC is defined as a "personal computer." Are Mac's not personal computers as well?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Technically a Mac is a PC so ...it's not Mac or PC it's Mac or Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Actually Mac or windows is oranges or pears.

It should be:

Mac or Dell etc
OS X or Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Furthermore, to be honest, a Mac can natively run Windows now, so is there any "real" need to buy a PC?

For most people a $500 notebook or desktop is more than enough computer. Is there any "real" need to spend over $1000 on a laptop when you're just browsing the internet and checking e-mail?

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
the8thark,
You are correct. Apple makes their own computer and operting system. Windows based computers don't have their own os.

The argument between DarkArt and Village Idiot has no definite answer! I always like this analogy when talking about price points of macs versus others: A hyundai will get you from point a to point b for half the price of an INFINITI, does that mean it is better? Most certainly not! I would always pick the Infiniti. But some people only look only care about minimum requirements, to do what they want to do, nothing more, nothing less. Others don't care if they pay a little more, they know for sure they are getting something good in it's entirety!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I'd say it's pretty far fetched that Apple called Microsoft to request they stop marketing their "product" in a certain way. Just my opinion though. The ad's didn't really pull me one way or another anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
For most people a $500 notebook or desktop is more than enough computer. Is there any "real" need to spend over $1000 on a laptop when you're just browsing the internet and checking e-mail?

I agree with your point, but when it comes down to it in the end, people are going to pay whatever they have to, to get a machine that fits their needs.

Whether it be Windows or Mac-based. Like I said, it comes down to using the right tool for the job.

Reaction score
Theres nothing wrong with the PC "Box" its the OS thats on it. After I see that Ad I say ...If you want to fight viruses and spys for ever,Ok with Me. At least put like Linux on it,if you can't get a Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.