• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Problem downloading with Tubetv

Reaction score
I'm a relatively new mac convert and still learning, but.....

I've used TubeTv to download and convert youtube videos for ipod use without problem over the last 2-3 months. However, I'm now unable to download successfully (stage 1 is almost instant and stage 2 shows "error").

The only change that I'm aware of is that Quicktime was recently updated to 7.6.2 (and I'm aware that TubeTv uses quicktime).

Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
similar Problem downloading with Tubetv

I have just had EXACTLY the same experience. I even tried deleting the Tubetv software and re-downloading it. It made no difference.
Is it possible that YouTube is blocking it for some reason?

Reaction score
I'm a relatively new mac convert and still learning, but.....

I've used TubeTv to download and convert youtube videos for ipod use without problem over the last 2-3 months. However, I'm now unable to download successfully (stage 1 is almost instant and stage 2 shows "error").

The only change that I'm aware of is that Quicktime was recently updated to 7.6.2 (and I'm aware that TubeTv uses quicktime).

Any help would be appreciated.

I have the same problem since yesterday. :-(

Reaction score
Tubetv problem

im noticing that our problems are all around the same date.. maybe tubetv is like shut down or something. i hope this isn't so! we need the answer to our problems ASAP!

Reaction score
From: I've used TubeTv to download and convert youtube videos for ipod use without problem over the last 2-3 months. However, I'm now unable to download successfully (stage 1 is almost instant and stage 2 shows "error").

------------------------------------------------------------------

Same here. TubeTV not working in youtube......

Reaction score
TubeTV no longer working with YouTube

I have the same problem. It will download from metacafe and others like it. It looks like the Google people have "fixed" YouTube. I have sent two messages to Chimoosoft and received no response whatsoever.

Reaction score
I also have experienced this same problem. What you can do is open your Safari browser, go to youtube, google video, etc., press command - option - A
on your keyboard. You will see an activity window. Scroll through and find the file that is downloading in megabytes (mb) double click it. It should download as a video.flv. When it is completed, rename the file to whatever you were watching. Open tube tv, go to file - convert files - find your flv files and convert them.

Reaction score
Gosh!... i also had the same problem and my roommate also started having the same problem INDEPENDENTLY!... something got screwed up somewhere!... if anyone has a solution please let me know... even if it implies to switch to another program!

Reaction score
alternative for downloading due problems with TubeTV

you can use a site address #1 YouTube Downloader - Downloader9.com to download the .flv video

you need the address for the video you want and enter it here and it willl download it for you - still works (just used it).

You can then use the TubeTV's 'Convert Files' option to convert it and add it to iTunes and your phone etc.

Much more hassle than before but it works at least...

I believe that everything on YouTube is in the public domain and we should be able to save it - I have found a lot of historical material that should be preserved...

Reaction score
I have had exactly the same problem regarding saving YouTube videos.

Took the advice of techgeek and wangman and it all worked. Thanks heaps!!

Reaction score
I got myself a new MacBook Pro last saturday, 10.5.8 and I got the same problem on that one. If I use my older iMac20 2.16GHZ, still 10.5.7 everything works as usual. It´s obviously not youTubes fault.

Reaction score
question for prolog

I have tried TubeTV on both my MacBook Pro 13" and an aluminium Macbook 13" and it didn't work - can you still download using older machines? I have an old G4 Mac Mini which I haven't tried. Mind you the file conversion takes an incredibly long time...

Reaction score
I have read what wangmann said, and I have read pretty much this whole page, yet nothing is helping at this very moment. Wangmann's advice has worked halfway. The Command-Option-A plan to open the activities works, but it doesn't download. But I used downloader9.com to download and it worked, then I converted in Tube Tv. Problem being now, downloader9 isn't working. It won't download the video. When I click "Click here to download the flv. video file!" it sends me to the homepage. Plus, above the download link, this message came up

"Warning: fopen(http://www.youtube.com/get_video?video_id=FKi125iqnFg&t=) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found in /home/download/public_html/generic-vids-downloader-v2.1.php on line 54

Warning: fread(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/download/public_html/generic-vids-downloader-v2.1.php on line 55

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/download/public_html/generic-vids-downloader-v2.1.php on line 57"

So anymore advice for me?

Reaction score
I found out what the problem was. If you downloaded the new Perian software update a few months ago then tube tv will not work. That is because the tubetv is too old to work with the newest perian version. We simply have to wait it out. But thanks inasir1971 that software is fine till then! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, BootCamp w/Windows 7 Ultimate
TubeTV is Obsolete

I tracked this thread down while fiddling with TubeTV, but the main point is that no one should be downloading and trying to use TubeTV. After wrestling with this problem for a while, I discovered that you just need Safari, and a simple plugin called YouTube5:
Vertical Forest :: YouTube5 Version 2

This makes grabbing YouTube video a one-step operation, as you're grabbing video that's already optimized for your iOS device.

I spent some time putting together a full tutorial, and a screen cast, which you can catch here:

Using Safari 5 to Download YouTube Video for Your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch | Insider Web Tips

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.