Windows support and admin tools on Mac

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if there are Windows support tools available for Mac. I have converted to Mac but still need to support Windows PCs and I need things like regedit (to remotely edit a PC registry), services.msc to remotely start and stop PC services etc. I have the option to run a virtual XP machine on my Mac but it would be great if I could get native Mac tools that would allow me to do PC support. Does anybody know if this is available?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Well If your talking about remote controlling another PC with your mac I think you can use something like VNC, to gain access to that pc and all the tools would be there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
While I am not a Windows admin (I'm an Oracle DBA on databases running on UNIX big-iron) I am at the moment a contractor, therefore in case any Windows admin type contracting jobs might come up I keep a complete Windows XP Parallels virtual machine on my Macbook. This way if I get a gig where they don't issue me a laptop I can use my Macbook with this VM to do window-y like things. Works rather well, and I can do windows type things with my Macbook if I'm at home and don't feel like hauling a bulky Dell that I've been issued. In fact I usually just VPN and VNC into said Dell that's sitting on my desk at work when I have to do the occasional admin of the databases. In fact some of the Oracle admin tools only run on Windows so I can either get to them with VNC or use my VM with those tools on it to remotely administer things at work from home.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies LogicBox and walkerj. I was hoping to get tools that would run on my Mac, but it seems I will have to run a Virtual Machine for the odd task. I have Chicken of the VNC running and it works great, but sometimes the VNC service on a PC is stopped and the only way to start it is by opening up services.msc and connecting to that PC's services and starting it. There is also the "net start" option but that only works in command prompt and would not run in terminal on the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Microsoft has a Windows Remote Desktop client for the Mac; it's a free download and it works quite well. Much more bandwidth-efficient than VNC for your purposes.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks technologist! I have downloaded Remote Desktop and I am using it. The only problem is that sometimes it is not enabled on a user computer and the only way to get it going is to do a remote registry edit on the user machine and change the fDenyTSConnections key to 0. I have not been able to find a remote registry editor for the Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.