iMac not detecting Airport base station

Reaction score
Hi. I'm an oldy so apologies for technical ignorance! Internet comes into house through DSL and connects to a server (it's a ReQuest music server). From server, ethernet cable into Airport Extreme Base station. From base station, ethernet connects to iMac. I therefore connect to internet via the ethernet cable.

For the last 5 months up until today...the airport base station had a green light and other computers in range in my house could connect to it wirelessly. Now the amber light blinks. When I run Airport utility (ver 5.4.2) and it scans, it doesn't even "see" the airport base station and I can't even get into manual set up because it can't see any wireless device to set up.

Anyone come across this before? I have bought a Time Capsule and plugged that into the mains (within 20ft) and it doesn't even recognise ("see") that when it scans for a wireless device.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums from one oldie to another!

What does Apple System Profiler in About this Mac > More Info.. > Airport have to say about the installed Airport Card? Not all machines came with Airport Cards installed as standard and they do fail alas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.