What is the best combo for mac security?

Reaction score
Not going to bother with antivirus but what about trojuns and phishing? Is there some good free software? I know all I REALLY need is common sense but i would rather be safe than sorry.

Many thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
At the current time to protect yourself from Trojans - don't download illegal software or video codecs from nefarious web sites - that's it.

For anti-phishing, suggest using OpenDNS.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Using OpenDNS rather than your ISP's servers will give good protection against phishing. As for trojans, it's just as you stated... stay away from those sites where nasty stuff is prevalent. Don't be tempted to download "free commercial" software.

:) Looks like bobtomay beat me to it.

Regards.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'll go one further and say this...

As you download software, do not install any program unless you:

1. Trust the source of the program.
2. Know exactly what the software does and why you need it.
3. If you're prompted for your admin password during installation, be especially wary. Most software does not need to modify operating system directories (which is the reason you're being prompted).

OP
T
Reaction score
ok thanks. What security settings should I have on my imac, time capsule, and wirless netwrok?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
ok thanks. What security settings should I have on my imac, time capsule, and wirless netwrok?

Make sure your wireless network is using WPA encryption (NOT WEP).

Also, make sure your iMac's Firewall (System Preferences => Security => Firewall) is set as follows:

2009-07-14_0806.png

This keeps programs from establishing server connections without asking you if it's OK first.

Another thing to check is this (System Preferences => Security => Firewall => Advanced):

2009-07-14_0808.png

"Stealth Mode" basically keeps your Mac from replying to ICMP requests (i.e. the "ping" command). Hackers typically use port scanners to try to scan ranges of addresses for open ports. If your Mac doesn't respond at all, the hacker doesn't even know it exists on the Internet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.