running .exe files

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm brand new to this fourm and I'm brand new to Mac computers.

So far the transition from PC to Mac has been pretty intuitive, but there is one thing I'm having trouble with. I'm trying to run some executibles and they don't run. Instead, they open up in a text editor.

I'm aware that some programs that would run on my old PC won't run on a Mac, but the Mac should still be able to recognize executibles and at least try to run them, shouldn't it?

The program is Audacity and I don't think it was built exclusively for PC (or any one computer type in particular), but I could be wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Audacity? You mean the audio editor?

Oh, almost forgot! Hello and welcome. .exe files just don't work on Mac. Those are for Windows, OS/2, and Linux. There is an Audacity version for Mac. Just go to that website you have there and you should have a button to download the .dmg file. Then open the file from your "Downloads" list. There will be an installer. It should be simple, but I'll take you through that when you've gotten to that point.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
.exe files are executables primarily for Windows. Macs run Mac software, which is usually compiled in .app files.

There is a version of Audacity for Mac:

Audacity: Mac OS 9 / X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13' Unibody 2.26Ghz
And for the few apps that don't have mac versions or alternatives - could run EXE's thru a program like vmware fusion or parallels..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Yea, but you need Windows to do it, right?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Well, you could technically run some .exe's on your mac, without having windows, by using crossover for mac. It might cost money but it's probably less than a windows license. I can't testify as to how well it would run the program though...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
First suggestion is - any software you're interested in, look for a OSX version of it. Aside from games, many titles do offer Mac versions of their software (in the case of Audacity, there is a Mac version).

If you have a title that is Windows only, you can also look into using Darwine (Mac version of Wine) - it's not as fancy as crossover, but it does work.

Basically, as said before, .exe files will not work natively on OSX. They are designed for Windows (or DOS), and will require either:

Bootcamp to boot into windows (requires windows license)
Parallels (~$80), VMWare Fusion (~$80), VirtualBox (Free) virtual machine software to install windows into a VM and run that VM to access windows software. (requires windows license)
Crossover Mac (cost varies depending on what you buy), Darwine (free) - Wine implementations for Mac. Crossover is the only commercial version of wine for Mac that I know of - money from Crossover goes to help continued development of new versions of Crossover and new developments for the free / unsupported version of Wine.
if it's a DOS exe file, you can try using DOSBox to run it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
.exe files just don't work on Mac. Those are for Windows, OS/2, and Linux.
One operating system too many in that list ;). Linux does not use .exe files - they use either bin files or use binaries with no extension at all (much like many of the Unix programs on your Mac).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro(OSX 10.5.7) Macbook Pro(OSX 10.5.7) iPhone(OS 3.0)(business) iPhone 3g (OS 3.0)(personal)
your best bet is to go to get MAMP (MAMP is a GNU open sourced PHP platform, I.e. turns your mac into a pc.... sortof... you my not run exe but in the file somewhere there is an executable php server or client boot it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
so it's an emulator.. like wine etc ;)

Personally I just prefer running virtual machines, they tend to have fewer issues IME.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, Ipod Touch, Classic, Nano, Shuffle
is there a free download for any of the abovementioned items to run .exe's?
(and i dont want windows on my mac)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
is there a free download for any of the abovementioned items to run .exe's?
(and i dont want windows on my mac)
You can try Wine. I've only used it in Linux, but it supposedly works well in OS X. First, check to see if the applications you want to run are compatible by looking in this list. Then, if they are, here are the OS X Wine page and the installation instructions.

I'll add a disclaimer, though: although I've had good experience in the past with Wine, your best bet is still to find a native Mac application that serves the same functionality. You will almost certainly have a better experience; there are just too many workarounds required otherwise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.