"cut" command disabled

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 ghz G5, 4g ram, OSX 10.5.
for some reason my ability to "cut" files and folders seems to be disabled. The menu item is greyed out and (apple-x) does nothing. Also, when I drag and drop a file to a new HD (I have several partitions) it doesn't "move" the file/folder, instead it "copies" it and then I have to go back and delete from the original location. What up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Welcome to OS X. Unfortunately, Apple feels that its users are too dumb to use cut/paste properly, so they only enabled cut for when you're cutting text IN a document. You can not cut document files themselves. In other words, no cutting ANY files. You can (sloppily) hold down the cmd key while dragging an file or folder or object and it will technically move it as opposed to just copying it.

Yes, it's i&#8419Stupid.

Doug

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welcome to OS X. Unfortunately, Apple feels that its users are too dumb to use cut/paste properly, so they only enabled cut for when you're cutting text IN a document. You can not cut document files themselves. In other words, no cutting ANY files. You can (sloppily) hold down the cmd key while dragging an file or folder or object and it will technically move it as opposed to just copying it.

Yes, it's i&#8419Stupid.

Doug

that is highly bad. Also, I thought OS X was supposed to be highly configurable... Maybe I'm making that up, but pretty sure I've been reading that from various places. At least a "cut" option in preferences or something would be nice.

but yes, we are very dumb and therefore need Apple to tell us what to do. Like buy phones and mp3 players w/o replaceable batteries. Real smart.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What is so hard about holding Command when moving a file?

It's in the help for the Finder also btw.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is so hard about holding Command when moving a file?

It's in the help for the Finder also btw.

b/c i'd much rather use a keyboard shortcut and flip through the finder window than have two finder windows open and then drag it in. or go back and delete the original.

that's really quite a pain. why not just have a cut option? I'm starting to realize some ppl will never find any fault with Apple.

that is so highly...bad.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
that's really quite a pain. why not just have a cut option? I'm starting to realize some ppl will never find any fault with Apple.

If there was no way to cut I would be annoyed. There is a way and to me it's very easy to do.

I use many Windows PC's as well as Macs daily. I often find fault with both OSX and Windows in different areas BTW.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If there was no way to cut I would be annoyed. There is a way and to me it's very easy to do.

I use many Windows PC's as well as Macs daily. I often find fault with both OSX and Windows in different areas BTW.

You are correct.

Reaction score
I find no need to open 2 Finder windows by using Spring loaded folders. I can move or copy to any folder in Finder faster than I can open a second window and locate the folder I want to move to.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I find no need to open 2 Finder windows by using Spring loaded folders. I can move or copy to any folder in Finder faster than I can open a second window and locate the folder I want to move to.

You are a better man than I, sir... or human being.

Reaction score
You are a better man than I, sir... or human being.

It has nothing to do with being a better man, it has to do with learning to use your Mac and stop trying to make it behave like a Windows machine.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aside from FileCutter (which is well-worth the $5, IMO), you might also want to take a look at XFolders:

Download Xfolders for Mac - Finder file management substitute. MacUpdate Mac File Management Software Downloads

Which is a split-pane file manager. But I do agree that the copy/paste paradigm is far more efficient in regular use than spring-loaded folders or opening multiple Finder windows. I may be set in my ways as a Windows user, but I figure if you can find an alternative that emulates the behavior you're accustomed to or prefer, why not use it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I found myself really missing cut & paste for files as well at first. It's just a basic way of life in Windows...

After a while you just get used to OS X' way of doing things.

As for OS X being more configurable – I'd disagree... Windows offers several (often convoluted) ways of doing one thing, whereas OS X usually offers just one (arguably better) way of doing things.

It is a 'our way or the highway' attitude to OS design, but that's often the way Apple likes to do things.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CWA, that reminds me of XTGold/Norton Commander from the old days like I used back in my early PC days. I loved those programs with 2 windows side by side. I am downloading it now!

Nothing beats Directory Opus on the Amiga.... NOTHING. Then and now, Dopus was the pinnacle of split-screen file management.

Have you seen DOpus for Windows?

GPSoftware Main Index

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nothing beats Directory Opus on the Amiga.... NOTHING. Then and now, Dopus was the pinnacle of split-screen file management.

Have you seen DOpus for Windows?

GPSoftware Main Index

I am shocked I did not remember and mention Directory Opus. AMAZING file manager on the Amiga. I had mine all customized and it just was outstanding!

So glad to see DOpus is still around! Will have to give that a try on my Windows boxes for sure!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
File management took a big step backward with OS X. Dragging and dropping would normally be the most intuitive and natural way of moving a file: it starts out in one place, you move it, then it's somewhere else. The problem is, the OS X Finder makes it so difficult to keep track of Finder windows.

A Finder window can change from displaying one folder to displaying a completely different one. Folders don't always remember their view styles, size, or position, and all end up looking alike, so you get "lost." They had to add the Sidebar and toolbar, since it's too hard to get around otherwise. But the Sidebar and Toolbar make windows take up way too much space to comfortably arrange on screen.

The current Finder is well suited to "browsing" your files: you can look at them in several different ways, just don't try to actually do anything with them.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tech, do you feel 10.3 and 10.4 were that much different in the Finder area than say Mac OS8-9? I was just messing with my old Powerbook 540c last night with Mac OS 8.1 but really did not try any drag and drop.

I do know with 10.5 views change and do not change back even though you have it saved to always open that way. That bugs me for sure. Never happened in 10.4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I found myself really missing cut & paste for files as well at first. It's just a basic way of life in Windows...

After a while you just get used to OS X' way of doing things.

As for OS X being more configurable – I'd disagree... Windows offers several (often convoluted) ways of doing one thing, whereas OS X usually offers just one (arguably better) way of doing things.

It is a 'our way or the highway' attitude to OS design, but that's often the way Apple likes to do things.
You can tweak the bejesus out of both OS's if you're willing to delve enough into either of them. I've always been a cp or mv guy anyway, but this threads been cool for some of the utilities!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.