Time Capsule help please

Reaction score
I own an iMac and Time Capsule. I have a home network running off a router, I use both ethernet and wireless on this network. My iMac is connected to the network via ethernet and the Time Capsule is connected via wireless on the same network.

As I have the Time Capsule sat next to the iMac, is it possible to setup a separate Airport network to connect the iMac to the Time Capsule. If so how?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You should already have access to the TC from your iMac the way you have it set up.

But, yes it is possible to have 2 WiFi networks if that is your goal.

I use a D-Link connected to the modem. Ethernet run from the router to the last Win machine in the house, the printer and the TC. Have set up the TC in Bridged Mode and have a WiFi network on both the router and the TC.

Have set up a combo 'g/n' network on the D-Link to work with my PS3, iPhone, etc. And then a 'n' only network using the 5Ghz band on the TC for use with my Mac's. Both are using WPA2.

I also have the router and the TC at opposite sides of the house. One at the front left and the other at the back right of the house so it's easy to switch networks to the one with the best reception as I move about the house and yard with my MBP.

For DNS options, the TC is set up with the router's address and the router is set using OpenDNS. Not sure if this is the best way, but it works for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.