• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video has a weird space and is not centered

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a huge problem and am hoping I can find a solution by tomorrow night. I work for a musician and we are projects video/images/etc. in the background of his concert. We just had the rehearsal and realized a few things are off and can't figure out how to fix them.

Our biggest problem is the video we shot with one of those little HD video cameras that we've been filming with the past few weeks (about 50% of the video we are using was made with this camera). When we upload them into iMovie it loads in with a space on the left hand side before the video, which makes this video off-centered. Everything else we use (such as the old video not shot in HD and the pictures) are centered. So half of the videos are centered, half are not. It looks very awkward. Does anyone know what's causing this and how we can fix it? Google did not help me at all! Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I Haven't heard of this.

Perhaps if you give some details like, camera model, codec, iMovie version, a picture of the result, someone will recognize the issue.

Sometimes when problems get really weird, people delete the preference file for the application. In this case iMovie. They also fix any permissions issues, although I can't see that being an issue here. Naturally, iMovie should not be running while doing these things.

Can QuickTime player play the raw file from the camera? If so, properly without the odd space? Have you tried other programs with the files? Does the video play back properly well in the event pane, but not properly when placed into a project? Can you play the imported video in QuickTime Player without the space?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.