Yes I am an Idiot *today"

Reaction score
Well – two in a day.

I am finding it more and more frustrating trying to figure out the Mac file hierarchy. (Or perhaps trying to make it behave like a PC)

This has got to be so simple, I am embarrassed to ask – but my brain is fried.

I saved a spreadsheet (Excel) onto one of those “flash USB memory sticks” on the PC. So I insert it into the Mac, click on the drive and
Obviously it’s there. Now I want to get it into a folder (under documents – called Excel files) If I open Finder sufficiently to see the subfolder –
Then I can’t see my Kingston drive. So how can I drag that spreadsheet out of the flash and drop it into my folder. I was so used to opening
Many tiny windows on the PC, it wasn’t a problem. Like I said, I just can’t wrap my arms around Finder – and the file structure.

I have transferred many files over the last many years – always PC – but this Mac is attempting to get me down.

Oh yeah – when I download a new application – files start appearing everywhere. I get those flat little box things stuck on the desktop.
Trash won’t take them. I tried hiding in HD, but then it becomes an alias.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.8ghz, iPhone 3G S
Hi :)

Persevere i assure you a switched a long time ago and now I would never look back.

To open more or new Finder windows take your mouse over the Finder Icon in the Dock, right click (or ctrl click) and select 'New Finder Window' from the menu. You can open as many as you like that way :)

Also right clicking (or ctrl click) on the file in your Kingston folder and selecting copy or cut, then navigate to your Excel folder and select paste, same result.

Stay with it, it all makes sense after a while.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Well – two in a day.

I am finding it more and more frustrating trying to figure out the Mac file hierarchy. (Or perhaps trying to make it behave like a PC)

This has got to be so simple, I am embarrassed to ask – but my brain is fried.

I saved a spreadsheet (Excel) onto one of those “flash USB memory sticks” on the PC. So I insert it into the Mac, click on the drive and
Obviously it’s there. Now I want to get it into a folder (under documents – called Excel files) If I open Finder sufficiently to see the subfolder –
Then I can’t see my Kingston drive. So how can I drag that spreadsheet out of the flash and drop it into my folder. I was so used to opening
Many tiny windows on the PC, it wasn’t a problem. Like I said, I just can’t wrap my arms around Finder – and the file structure.

I have transferred many files over the last many years – always PC – but this Mac is attempting to get me down.

Oh yeah – when I download a new application – files start appearing everywhere. I get those flat little box things stuck on the desktop.
Trash won’t take them. I tried hiding in HD, but then it becomes an alias.

Generally what you want to do is find the file on your USB Thumb drive and drag the file to the desktop. From there you would navigate to where you want to place the file via finder. Then you just simple drag and drop the file to the location you want.

Not sure what you mean by little flat box? I'm guessing you mean DMG files with the USB icon? After you finish installing the application, you simple right click and eject it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you go to Finder's preferences (Finder > Preferences...), there is an option under "General" to "Always open folder in a new window". This will open each folder in a new Finder window. Note though that this is every folder.

If you don't want that, just push Command-N or Finder > New Finder Window to open a new window.

Reaction score
Another option is to drag the file directly into the documents shortcut in the sidebar of the finder window (If there isn't one just drag your documents folder there to create one). If you do not release the mouse button whilst dragging you can automatically navigate through any number of sub folders (These will spring open as you go along) and just release the mouse button when you get to your required location.

If your 'Excel Files' folder is a location that you use regularly then you could drag this to the finder sidebar to create a shortcut so that you can just drop files straight into it in when you open the USB drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
I use AppCleaner to fully uninstall applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
So there are a few things you can do, Rbosely. To sum:

1) Drag the file from the flash drive folder to the desktop, then from the desktop to your documents folder.

2) Open the flash drive in the Finder, then open a second Finder window. Navigate to your folder in the second one and drag the document into it from the flash drive. Hold down the Command key to while dragging on the file to move it rather than copy it.

3) Put your specific documents folder in the Dock and drag whatever documents you want into it.

The little flat boxes are dmg files, which act like "external" drives that you install apps from. This is similar to an .exe file in Windows. You don't keep them. Once you install the app and put it in your app folder, you eject the dmg. When you drag it to the Trash, you'll find an eject symbol instead of a trash can icon. This is normal. Or you can right click on the dmg icon and choose Eject, or you can hit the eject button next to the dmg in the Finder.

In any case, the idea is to EJECT dmg's. Trying to put them into the trash will only cause the eject symbol to appear. And just as you wouldn't keep opening a Windows program from the .exe file, you don't want to keep clicking the dmg to open an app. Install it once, then get rid of it. Then you desktop will be clutter-free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, iMac 24 both w/ Snowleopard
I too am an idiot. When I try to drag a file to a folder "Nothing" happens.

I can't get to the folder where I want to drop it because it is off the edge of the Finder window and the Finder window doesn't scroll.

Any ideas about how to get Finder to scroll?

Also most of the time when I try to drag a file I wind up highlighting everything on the page. This is not right but i don't know what I'm doing wrong. It even happens when i try to drag between Finder windows.

I really wonder if the Mac is more user friendly Finder certainly isn't.

Thanks, Bob

M

MacInWin

Depending on your view, Finder does scroll. If you have it in the list mode, just drag what you want to be over the folder you are interested in, hover there and the folder will open. Then find the next folder, hover, etc. Eventually you'll drill down to the folder you want and can then drop the dragged object. Works the same in the side-by-side columns view, moving to the right and hovering on a folder opens the next column.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
jakerick: BS and i don't mean my initials!

In both list and column views I click on a file icon and attempt to drag it up and down the Finder window to folder that is off the screen. FINDER WILL NOT SCROLL ITS WINDOW and thus I can not drop the file into the folder that is not there.

Since the destination folder is a subfolder of the current folder (or directory) it is in the list (or column) containing the file I want to move. If Finder would scroll there would not be a problem.

The only solution I can find is to temporarily rename the destination folder with a name close to that of the file I want to move and then rename it after the file has been moved. Since I have dozens of files I want to move into a half-a-dozen new subfolders this is going to be a lot of renaming.

I really hate Finder.

Bob

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

In both list and column views I click on a file icon and attempt to drag it up and down the Finder window to folder that is off the screen. FINDER WILL NOT SCROLL ITS WINDOW and thus I can not drop the file into the folder that is not there.

Since the destination folder is a subfolder of the current folder (or directory) it is in the list (or column) containing the file I want to move. If Finder would scroll there would not be a problem.

The only solution I can find is to temporarily rename the destination folder with a name close to that of the file I want to move and then rename it after the file has been moved. Since I have dozens of files I want to move into a half-a-dozen new subfolders this is going to be a lot of renaming.

I really hate Finder.

Bob

Just a crazy thought...but why not just make a new folder on the desktop and load your files into it. Then move that folder into the folders that you want?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

I really hate Finder.

Bob

For starters, the person you responded too said nothing about scrolling Finder Windows, he was talking about Spring Loaded folders. Secondly, if you drag a file/folder to the bottom of the the Finder window and hold it, the Window WILL scroll, if yours isn't then you are doing something wrong. Lastly, to echo what you said in your original post, you are trying too hard to make this like Windows. You need to either become willing to learn how to use the OS as it is designed or go back to a Windows box, it's a pretty simple choice.

Someone mentioned using the desktop, I would recommend simply opening multiple finder Windows and moving things between them, this isn't rocket science and it is isn't Windows either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See I was right I am an idiot.

That will work.

Of course the real issue is why won't Finder scroll so I don't have to do this.

Thanks,

Bob

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That will work.

Of course the real issue is why won't Finder scroll so I don't have to do this.

Thanks,

Bob

Can you take a screen shot of the no Finder scrolling?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
M

MacInWin

I won't bother to try to help you any more, since it seems to offend you. And by the way, Finder DOES scroll up and down. You just need to know how to do it. Good luck with that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.