Locking cables - any true experience

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The New Macbook
Hi all,
I just got a new mac book and just realized i have the little Kensington lock slot so was thinking about buying a cable to keep my computer locked to something in the house.

I know they are not full proof but it would be nice sometimes to leave the computer out on my desk and not hide it EVERYTIME I sleep or leave the house.

There are lots of burglaries in my area..

So I would like to know if anyone has used them and either had them cut? or had their computer severely damaged by some idiot burglar trying to steal it, been burglarized but not had the computer taken..

and general feedback..

Reaction score
In my experience the Kensington lock things are ideal if you are sat in a room with the computer - it stops the casual thief simply picking up the laptop and walking away with it.

However, I can open the lock with a piece of thick paper - it takes about 30 seconds to make the lock pick and have the lock open. A rep from a security company showed me how to do it when we lost the key for one of our printer locks once.

If it's for securing your macbook when you are not at home then I wouldn't bother. If somebody is in your house alone with the lock then it won't take long for them to open it.

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
I have had one at work, but quickly got rid of it due to how irritable it was to me. They work rather well, but that of course also depends of what you are securing it to. Plus, if you are cosmetically conscious about your laptop, the lock can scratch up the area on the laptop where the lock would be. I personally just take the extra time and effort to make sure I know where it is at all times, and keep it a close distance from me in public.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Nothing is full proof, but if it deters someone who is in a rush while riffling through your home, then all the better.

As a side note, my MPB lock slot is busted. Turns out that it isn't all metal in there. The plastic broke after so much use. I've been delaying getting it taken care of under Apple Care but have to do it soon.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The New Macbook
xstep,
the Lock Slot busted from using a cable lock??
Which mac do you have?
I am using the new aluminum MB so I hope it does not break.. if I am to get a cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I have the original Mac Book Pro.

There is an insert in the lock mechanism that is difficult to explain. I suppose given how often I locked it up in my laptop bag in the car caused some back and forth movement which caused the plastic part to fail. It is a bit of a tight fit when locked in the bag. There is also metal in there but the plastic seems to be designed as filler. In my opinion it should have been all metal.

Given that the new aluminum Mac books are carved out, I wonder if Apple may have improved the design. I have my doubts because this part is so small.

If I were you, I'd get the cable. Any deterrent is better than none. Theft goes up in times of a recession.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.