networking two macs (lord, this is embarrassing)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid'09 MBP; 2.53GHz; 8GB RAM; OS X 10.8.2 | 2G iPod Touch 32GB | iPhone 5 iOS 7.1 16GB | iPad Air
I've recently received an exciting promo code which made the new 2.53GHz 15" MBP impossible not to buy (it was actually cheaper than the previous gen 13"), so I got it, but have no plans of leaving my MacBook aside.

Yet for some reason, the one thing I thought would be the easiest -- networking & sharing -- has gone bananas. I've had it for two days, and so far this is what goes on:

Both the MacBook and MBP have file sharing on, with "read & write" permissions set to "everyone".

The MacBook sees the PC as usual, and the MBP too, but can't connect to it.
The MBP sees the MacBook, and connects to it normally, but the PC is nowhere to be found.

I get an "error 36" on the MacBook when the connection (to the MBP) fails, but google didn't help me much, as I saw this error linked to a dozen different things.

Any idea what's wrong?

thanks. :Blushing:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Some good info here if u are Ok with the $10

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Go here: Link Site is free and has lots of good information about connecting and sharing between a Mac and PC.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.