Just switched to Mac: question on Apple Care

Reaction score
I used to own a Dell where the keyboard was frequently a problem. Especially bad were the keys which would lose the paint identifying their letter. With Mac's, is this a problem? I have a 13" new Macbook Pro.

I ask about Applecare because I do not want to get one of those silicon keyboard protectors. Frankly, I do not like them and think it makes it harder to type. Will Apple Care be able to replace individual keys or the entire keyboard, and if so, will they do it upon my request? Dell would do it, no questions asked under their Dell Warranty that you bought.

Also, kind of off topic, but are there any better key protectors out there besides the silicon ones you slide on?

Thanks.

Reaction score
On the new MacBook Pros, the keys have been painted on the inside, so they will not wear like the keys of older laptops. As far as Applecare, I always get extra protection for a laptop and take my chances with a desk top. The laptop can and will get hot, anything can happen when it comes to heat and the little room inside for the same specs as a desk top.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply but I think you misread my question. I am asking specifically what applecare covers with regard to the keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
If the keyboard is defective in some way, they should replace the entire keyboard without giving you a hassle. Since the keys are backlit, the letters are not painted over the top of the black plastic keys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.