Just got it. First things to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
What kind did you get? If it's a Macbook, go into System Preferences and adjust the Trackpad settings so you can "right click" with two fingers. Or, if you use a mouse, go into the Keyboard and Mouse settings and assign the functions you'll use most to the mouse buttons.

If you use multiple chat services, download Adium.

To access files much more quickly than you can with Finder, download Quicksilver.

Download OpenOffice if you'll be working with MS Word files. Text Wrangler might come in handy as well.

Mira expands the uses for your Apple Remote.

Miro is good for watching TV shows.

Flip4Mac will let you play wmv files. VLC will take care of any other miscellaneous codecs you might need to play.

smcFanControl will give you greater control over your fans in order to keep your Mac's temperature within a safe range.

Onyx will help you maintain your computer.

Disk Inventory is a cool way to see what kinds of files are taking up your hard drive space.

AppCleaner will help entirely remove apps you might decide you don't want.

These are all free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Set all System Preferences and all Application Preferences to work the way YOU want them to.
Set Finder View options and check out all the installed apps and utilities while you are there.
Use all the installed apps before downloading replacements.
Have fun ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I agree about checking out the apps that come with your Mac first. You don't want to immediately get into the habit of using third party apps before you even understand the basics (though I think you'll like some of these other apps later). And I agree that you should play around with System Preferences and start customizing (which is actually kind of fun). Don't forget to to Security in System Preferences to turn on your Firewall!

I probably already told you this before, but watch the tutorials on the basics here:

Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

and the iLife tutorials here:

Apple - iLife - Find out how to use iLife applications on the Mac.

And you might want to flip through the User Guides that are on your Macintosh HD.

Reaction score
good post oneironaut. my imac has been shipped and i'm beginning to think about the same things the op is thinking...where to begin checking out things before a full load of data.

Reaction score
Apple Remote??? is that an extra purchase cause I dont think I got one with my MB.. Also what is a good software to play a DVD movie on ur MB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Hmmm I think you should have gotten a remote, to play a DvD I mostly use either divx or Boxee.

Reaction score
I guess I will have to go back and look at my MB box for it, I just got it not to long about right before the keynote in june. I dont think my mac has frontrow on it either..

OP
W
Reaction score
Mine has front row but it didn't come with a remote...I don't get the point of Front Row. I think it's kinda stupid...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
The new MBPs do not come with a remote like the old ones did. They don't come with a mini display port video adapter either. Some fat that got trimmed when they lowered the prices...

Reaction score
Fat got trimmed b 4 that, I bought my Macbook the 2.0Ghz about a week b 4 the keynote last month and I didnt get a remote and I dont think I have Front Row either :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
You do have Front Row, as every Mac that runs Leopard has it. To open Front Row, press Command-Esc.

As for the Apple Remote, it hasn't been included with the notebooks since the unibody redesign. My brother got a new aluminum MacBook (the model that is now the 13" MacBook Pro) before WWDC, and it did not come with a remote.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook Pro 13'' 2.26GHz 4GB RAM 320GB 7200RPM HDD
What kind did you get? If it's a Macbook, go into System Preferences and adjust the Trackpad settings so you can "right click" with two fingers. Or, if you use a mouse, go into the Keyboard and Mouse settings and assign the functions you'll use most to the mouse buttons.

If you use multiple chat services, download Adium.

To access files much more quickly than you can with Finder, download Quicksilver.

Download OpenOffice if you'll be working with MS Word files. Text Wrangler might come in handy as well.

Mira expands the uses for your Apple Remote.

Miro is good for watching TV shows.

Flip4Mac will let you play wmv files. VLC will take care of any other miscellaneous codecs you might need to play.

smcFanControl will give you greater control over your fans in order to keep your Mac's temperature within a safe range.

Onyx will help you maintain your computer.

Disk Inventory is a cool way to see what kinds of files are taking up your hard drive space.

AppCleaner will help entirely remove apps you might decide you don't want.

These are all free.

i googled and found two fan control apps. one is smcFanControl, the other one is Fan Control. anyone tried both before? which is better, if there are any differences in the two apps. thanks

Reaction score
So does front row play DVDs? Or do I have to get Boxee?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use smcFanControl and it seems to work pretty well. There isn't much to it, you just have sliders that control the fan rpm's up to 6000. It also puts your computer temperature in Celsius or Farenheit in the menu bar.

Front Row gives you full-screen access to DVD's, your iTunes library and TV shows, pictures, etc. It's basically the same kind of interface as Apple TV. You can use the Apple Remote to control it. The remote used to come with the old Macbook Pro's, but they're only twenty bucks if you want to go buy one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 ghz G5, 4g ram, OSX 10.5.
I use smcFanControl and it seems to work pretty well. There isn't much to it, you just have sliders that control the fan rpm's up to 6000. It also puts your computer temperature in Celsius or Farenheit in the menu bar.

Front Row gives you full-screen access to DVD's, your iTunes library and TV shows, pictures, etc. It's basically the same kind of interface as Apple TV. You can use the Apple Remote to control it. The remote used to come with the old Macbook Pro's, but they're only twenty bucks if you want to go buy one.

why use a fan control app? Doesn't the CPU do that just fine already?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
So does front row play DVDs? Or do I have to get Boxee?

OS X comes with a DVD application (called DVD) that can handle
DVD playback just fine. In case that's not
your cup of tea for some reason, vlc is a free video player that can play DVDs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.