Transferring Files over Home Network

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
For whatever reason, I'm having a hard time grasping just how Apple lets you transfer files, well... in this case pictures, from iPhoto to other machines on your home network. My wife has a pc and one of those color printer docks for her camera. I took some pictures with my camera this past weekend and imported them into the iPhoto Library. Sure, I can email the pictures, but she wants me to send her the full original files so she can print real photos to send everyone. A PITA, but do-able is loading the memory card into her machine. I would much rather be able to do this from my Mac, simply "find" these pictures and then drag them to her machine on my screen. Unfortunately, it seems that Apple makes this a bit obscure... the actual location of the pictures and the ability to drag and drop copies on other machines.

I tried using finder to locate "Last Import" and it doesn't show up. When I did find an iPhoto folder and it noted there was 15 megs of pix in it... it wouldn't let me open it. Is there a smoother way to do this?

TIA guys.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Select the pictures you want to send > File > Export. This will "export" all the pictures of your choosing to a folder of your choosing. Once this is done, you can share away.

OP
drgrafix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
Select the pictures you want to send > File > Export. This will "export" all the pictures of your choosing to a folder of your choosing. Once this is done, you can share away.

Tried that... got a message "Unable to create volume, click to cancel" Then I tried creating a folder on the Mac, to see If I could transfer the entire folder to the HP. Got a message saying "You may need to enter the name and password for an administrator on this computer to change the item named "XXXXXXXX".

I'm already logged on that computer as a guest, so do I have to go upstairs, reboot the HP and logon as administrator every time I want to transfer pictures? I tried logging on from the Mac, no dice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.