I'm Counting to 10.

Reaction score
By this time - 1 week - I thought I would be having few problems on the MacPro. Boy was I dreaming. Manuals are now those things you print on line - about 80 pages. So as yet I have found a nice little users guide. Some of my problems come from those 40 years pounding a PC. But I can’t even type (using Pages). I think I’m “backspacing”. I am - the entire line!

Managing files is however proving to be my downfall. Where do these saved files go to? Is “myname” on the rightside the same as documents? Seems so.

But I could go on and on. One day SOON I will look back and laugh at my screwups. RIGHT now I have a new thingy on that right side. Trash. Two parts - MAC and my provider. MAC is empty, but roadrunner looks like a line to a Red Sox game. Are they to live there forever? They are not actually trash - many good senders,. When I delete from the inbox, is this where they go? I want they out of the house.

One tiny other thing. I open Mail. Double click to pull up the letter from Aunt Martha. I see that I can delete it - but how do I just return to the inbox - old Martha stilll there?

OH yeah. Is Page considered “the official wordprocesser” of the MAC?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
There are alternatives to word processing software. IE. Open Office (highly recommended since it's free), iWorks, and Microsoft Word for Mac. There are others but I haven't used them nor do I plan to.

Also I don't think counting to 10 is going to magically scare your Mac into doing what you want it to do. ^-^"

If you don't know where you are saving to...you can always run a search for it via spotlight if you remember the name.

There is also the option of launching the program and it should have an option to open some of your more recent files. However you really should pay more attention to where you are saving...IE use "Save As," instead of just save so you have more control of how you are saving.

Can't help you with email because I don't manage my e-mail like ever. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
There are some good pointers here which may help. Pages is both a word processor and a desktop publisher so is very capable and very user friendly.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Managing files is however proving to be my downfall. Where do these saved files go to? Is “myname” on the rightside the same as documents? Seems so.

OS X, and most UNIX-style operating systems use "home" folder. Each user gets their own "Home" folder (located in /Users/<your user name>), where documents, settings and data that pertain specifically to your account are stored.

This is very similar to your profile directory on a Windows machine (Typically C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>, but that convention has changed several times, depending on the version of Windows we're talking about).

Your "Documents" folder is stored within that Home folder. There is also a folder for Photos, Music, Movies, etc...

But I could go on and on. One day SOON I will look back and laugh at my screwups. RIGHT now I have a new thingy on that right side. Trash. Two parts - MAC and my provider. MAC is empty, but roadrunner looks like a line to a Red Sox game. Are they to live there forever? They are not actually trash - many good senders,. When I delete from the inbox, is this where they go? I want they out of the house.
Are you referring to Apple's Mail program? If so, you have a seperate Trash can for each of your email accounts you have Mail setup to check. If there are items in those Trash cans that you want to keep, make sure you drag and drop them back to your Inbox.

One tiny other thing. I open Mail. Double click to pull up the letter from Aunt Martha. I see that I can delete it - but how do I just return to the inbox - old Martha stilll there?
It's still in the inbox unless you moved it elsewhere. If you want it to remain there, just close the window.

OH yeah. Is Page considered “the official wordprocesser” of the MAC?
First things first, MAC is not an acronym. Mac is short for Macintosh, so there's no need to capitalize it :)

Pages is part of Apple's iWork suite (similar to how Word is part of Microsoft's Office suite). It's not "official", any more than Word is Windows' official wordprocessor. There are many other good ones, including Writer in OpenOffice, Word for Mac (In Microsoft Office for Mac), Bean, AbiWord, and countless others.

To be quite honest, Pages was never really a wordprocessor until just recently. It started out life as a page layout program, and it shows. While it's decent enough for casual writing, I prefer OpenOffice's Writer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
If it's manuals you want, I suggest anything by David Pouge. His Missing Manuals are chock full of information and tips. He'll set you on the right track!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Get Microsoft Office, mate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
^Not everybody loves MS Office.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Rbosely, if you look in the Finder under Macintosh HD, you'll find a folder called User Guides which has a few simple guides in them. You can get one of the manuals recommended already in this thread, but in the meantime, you can check out video tutorials which are easy to follow here:

Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

Just like in Windows, your files can be saved anywhere. Your home folder (myname) CONTAINS your Documents folder, and within the Documents folder are folders for all your different documents. You can hit the New Folder button to create subfolders.

RIGHT now I have a new thingy on that right side. Trash. Two parts - MAC and my provider. MAC is empty, but roadrunner looks like a line to a Red Sox game. Are they to live there forever?

You'll have to be a little clearer in your questions... A new "thingy" (?) on WHAT right side? Right side of the Finder? Of the Desktop? Of the Dock? Of your Mail window? It's tough to give you an answer when it's not clear just what you're talking about. I'm guessing you're talking about the Trash in the Dock, which is there permanently from the start. Not sure about the other trash, that might be specific to your service provider, and you might need to call them. I've never heard of having two different trashes in the Dock before.

They are not actually trash - many good senders,. When I delete from the inbox, is this where they go? I want they out of the house.

First you say they're not trash, then you say you want them out. Again, not sure what it is you're asking. When you delete mail, it ends up in the Mail trash. You can restore mail from it if you want to; deleted messages will remain there until you right-click on the Trash can and permanently erase your old messages.

The Trash in Mail is NOT the same Trash that's in your Dock. Putting unwanted mail in the Mail Trash does not make it appear in your Dock Trash. They each work separately.

I see that I can delete it - but how do I just return to the inbox - old Martha stilll there?

If you've double-clicked the mail message and it's appeared in its own separate window, you can just close the message window and the message will still be in your Inbox. But you don't have to double-click it and bring it up in its own window. You can just click on it once to make the message appear in the bottom pane.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Glad to hear it. If you're unclear about anything else, let me know and I'll make another video!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.6, i7, 8G Ram, OS X 10.10, iPhone 6 Plus
I agree, great video. Others are good as well. Thanks

Reaction score
great video---ya helped me with a few pointers...especially simple understanding of the folders....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.