• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Getting into shape.

T

todd51

So over the past week or so I've started eating healthier and exercising. I don't know why it hit me (probably laying around for 3 months unemployed) but I have started running and recently installed a pull-up bar in my parents garage.

I'm naturally tall and skinny (6'5 at 185lbs) so I've decided that I want to gain about 5 more pounds in muscle and just trim the fat. Not trying to look huge, that's why I'm not going to the gym or buying weights. I've just been doing pull-ups, push-ups, and other things like that. Then I've started running around the park in our neighborhood using a combination of slow running at first, then sprinting for a minute or two, then slowing back down. I do that about 3 times then a leisurely walk home.

I always thought that was the hard part, but eating healthy is definitely the hardest. There is so much crap out there that I'm used to, it's hard to cut it out completely. I have noticed that I have a LOT more energy throughout the week by eating fruits and vegetables in-between and during meals. That along with cutting out most soda (or pop, whatever you want to call it) and staying hydrated throughout the day.

The weekends are really killing me as well. Two weeks into this and not once during the weekend have I worked out or went for a run. I also sleep in way to late so I'm not eating breakfast and getting full meals.

Anyone else out there trying to stay in shape? What's your routine?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm trying to get into better shape. I have started eating healthier and I got the app "Lose It!" from the App Store as a very simplistic way of tracking my calorie intake. I also go for a 30-40 minute bike ride everyday (weather permitting) and a 45 minute walk later at night (this is very therapeutic as well). The hardest part for me, much like you have experienced, is discipline. It's tempting to eat junk again.

Much like you, I'm not worried about my weight. I have a small "beer belly" though so I'm trying to get rid of it.

Reaction score
Hey,
Question for you guys. Do you guys have any suggestions on where to learn about good food consumption/calorie intake and good excercising health? I'm trying to get rid of my beer belly and i hear it's the hardest place to get off etc.

Thanks,
Qua Sar

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
So over the past week or so I've started eating healthier and exercising. I don't know why it hit me (probably laying around for 3 months unemployed) but I have started running and recently installed a pull-up bar in my parents garage.

I'm naturally tall and skinny (6'5 at 185lbs) so I've decided that I want to gain about 5 more pounds in muscle and just trim the fat. Not trying to look huge, that's why I'm not going to the gym or buying weights. I've just been doing pull-ups, push-ups, and other things like that. Then I've started running around the park in our neighborhood using a combination of slow running at first, then sprinting for a minute or two, then slowing back down. I do that about 3 times then a leisurely walk home.

I always thought that was the hard part, but eating healthy is definitely the hardest. There is so much crap out there that I'm used to, it's hard to cut it out completely. I have noticed that I have a LOT more energy throughout the week by eating fruits and vegetables in-between and during meals. That along with cutting out most soda (or pop, whatever you want to call it) and staying hydrated throughout the day.

The weekends are really killing me as well. Two weeks into this and not once during the weekend have I worked out or went for a run. I also sleep in way to late so I'm not eating breakfast and getting full meals.

Anyone else out there trying to stay in shape? What's your routine?

You need to have a set schedule. After you have your schedule just follow it until it becomes second nature.

I go to bed at 11:30 PM wake up at 5:00 AM.

Eat breakfast, usually oatmeal (plain) sometimes with a splash of lowfat milk.

Start my 1 mile run/jog in the morning. I usually finish in 10-15 minutes if I run all the way. If I jog takes longer obviously.

Then I do laps in my pool for about 45 minutes.

Come back take a shower dress. Then I eat a real breakfast, usually cereal, toast, jam, orange juice, and coffee.

Catch up on the morning news and whatnot in the newspaper and then I'm off to work.

That's pretty much my morning routine.

Not exactly exciting or anything but it works for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I started dropping weight about a year or so ago. It started with a need to relieve stress vice punching holes in walls (NEVER have kids, never). My work schedule requires me to travel quite a bit so maintaining a routine is a bit hard. In the end, I've settled at about 40 pounds lighter than I was a year ago, but I still eat healthier and exercise when and where I can.

OP
T

todd51

You need to have a set schedule. After you have your schedule just follow it until it becomes second nature.

Start my 1 mile run/jog in the morning. I usually finish in 10-15 minutes if I run all the way. If I jog takes longer obviously.

Come back take a shower dress. Then I eat a real breakfast, usually cereal, toast, jam, orange juice, and coffee.

Catch up on the morning news and whatnot in the newspaper and then I'm off to work.

Wow, that's a good schedule. I've thought about running in the morning since they say you'll burn calories faster that way. It also gets your metabolism going for the whole day. Mornings are my worst nightmare however. Well they are until I actually GET UP. On the weekends, I can sleep until noon easily. Heck, I just did it today, which I know isn't good because it starves my body of well needed nutrients. Maybe I should start getting up earlier every morning before work, and then sleeping until 9 or so on the weekends will feel like sleeping in.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Wow, that's a good schedule. I've thought about running in the morning since they say you'll burn calories faster that way. It also gets your metabolism going for the whole day. Mornings are my worst nightmare however. Well they are until I actually GET UP. On the weekends, I can sleep until noon easily. Heck, I just did it today, which I know isn't good because it starves my body of well needed nutrients. Maybe I should start getting up earlier every morning before work, and then sleeping until 9 or so on the weekends will feel like sleeping in.

Set your alarm for when you want to get up. Sometimes I have to set 5 alarm clocks and spread them throughout my room. If I don't I'll just turn it off or throw it against the wall. >_<"

Weekends I get lazy so I try and do something different than what I do on the weekdays. I start out the morning with stretching then yoga/strength training for an hour.

The last thing I want is a beer belly, especially when you sit in front of a computer for 8hrs a day...it doesn't help.

I even got my g/f to start exercising with me. I have to force her too because I don't want her to be in her 50s and have wings and having everything drooping to the floor. That's not happening on my exercise regiment for her.

She may hate it now but she will thank me, someday. ^-^"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
I train everyday and follow a strict low carb, medium fat, high protein diet.

I eat 7-8 times a day, do weights on a 10 day split with cardio on days off.

I bulked up pretty big at 14.3 st at 5"8, and a small bone structure, since then I have been leaning out. I am now 12.6st but very low bf, veins in chest, lower abs, and legs.

I have also encorporated some Navy Seal training into my week, most info can be found on military.com.

Diet is important, it needs to be clean and high in protein, I go low carbs all week then ramp them up Sat and Sun to trick the body so that it doesn't slow down my metabolism from low carbs. This also fills out the deflated muscles with water and glucose from the carb influx making you look extra good!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't believe in diets. I just eat normally. I'm not a vegetarian but my diet is mostly consist of grains, fruit, vegetables and very little red meat. I like fish, and chicken a lot more than beef. I will however eat a hamburger occasionally, but it has to be 97% fat free and I have to make it myself. I only eat beef once a month. >_>"

I also supplement the stuff that I'm lacking with a daily vitamin.

Reaction score

Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't 11-30pm to 5am an unhealthy sleep pattern. Isn't 7-8 a good amount of sleep and you are only gretting 5 and a half hours of sleep every night (i think if my math is right). Correct me if I am wrong, becuase i was always wondering the "correct/best" amount of sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
The hardest part I've found is the alcohol. I've switched to mainly liquor and not as much beer, but regardless I've dropped 25lbs and I'm back on schedule after the 4th weekend.

OP
T

todd51

Good idea with the alarm clocks, Crimson. I'm going to run in the mornings, starting tomorrow. I was going to do it today but I couldn't fall asleep last night since I slept in until noon.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't 11-30pm to 5am an unhealthy sleep pattern. Isn't 7-8 a good amount of sleep and you are only gretting 5 and a half hours of sleep every night (i think if my math is right). Correct me if I am wrong, becuase i was always wondering the "correct/best" amount of sleep.

When you get older...you don't get as much sleep even if you try.

todd51 said:
Good idea with the alarm clocks, Crimson. I'm going to run in the mornings, starting tomorrow. I was going to do it today but I couldn't fall asleep last night since I slept in until noon.

I picked this up from my g/f because she is a heavy sleeper. She even manages to turn off all five alarms and somehow can go back to sleep. I have to wake her up myself because she gets up earlier than I have to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I don't believe in diets. I just eat normally.

And that's why you're not trying to lose weight is my guess :D Either way, diet as in "that which you eat" is a different thing than some crackpot crash diet (as in "lose weight fast!"). Fads like low carb diets can lower metabolism and reduce athletic performance (as was alluded to previously).

Diet will be key in performance, even if you're not trying to lose (or gain) weight.

Be this as it may, if you're interested in running check out "couch to 5k" type programs. These utilize a run/walk split that specifically works to increase endurance and lengthen your run.

My typical schedule:

M-W-F: 5am run (4-6 miles currently or about 45 minutes the heat is slowing things down), 6ish about an hour- hour and a half of free weights, mostly compound exercises followed up by an hour or so of racquetball.

T-Th: an hour or so of spinning

Sa or Su: a full day of hiking, generally 8-15 miles and somewhere around 4,000-6,000 ft of accumulated elevation gain.

and I'm still trying to 'get fit' O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, iPod Video, iPod Nano Chrome 16gig
I wanna get more into running, never been able to hack it some how, I just get bored!
Anyway, I guess that's fixable by my iPod - but my other major problem is my trainers, I wear some cheap old Nike astros from back in the day, but the sole is pretty much worn through, and they dont give much ankle support. Anyone able to recommend a good shoe for a runner? I don't want anything too expensive, just something better than my current ones.

Unfortunatley, I found I started putting the weight on when I stopped smoking (that said, I've never really been small), evidently niccotine is an appitite supressent, but even so, I'm slowly but surely dropping the pounds.

I also find carrying a bottle of water round helps with losing wieght - I find I'm not hungry if I drink water near enough all day - and those extra trips to the toilet must help burn the calories?? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately as it really is.. every ones foot and their gait is different. If you're serious about running it's worth going to a proper store at least once to have your gait analyzed and a shoe type recommended. You'll find they pretty much work into Neutral Cushioned, Stability or Motion Control (for neutral or under pronaters, mild over pronaters and severe over pronaters respectively). You'll spend more on the shoes, but it's probably worth the lack of pain/injury in the long run. Once you find something you can always buy it at zappos etc pretty readily.

FWIW these days I run in perl izumi road shoes and montrail or brooks trail runners.. I'm a mid/forefoot striker with a very mild pronation.. not a lot of help.. I know..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
I too would love to get into better shape. I'm not really fat, but I could definitely be a bit better built. I don't want to lose weight, in fact I expect to gain weight. Why? Because I'm going to try to get more muscular. By the end of this summer, I want to have more muscle mass. I'm starting by going on almost daily bike rides for around 30 minutes. I usually go in 8th gear, but because the area I live in has quite a few hilly backroads. Sure it's tough in some parts, but I hope it'll be well worth it. I'm also swimming alot more at my grandfather's pool, and I'm doing more intense exercises. For example, doing say 10 laps. Then doing another 10 after wading for about 5 minutes. I do have to get into shape for other reasons as well, though. When I'm 15 I plan on being SCUBA certified.

Good luck everyone! Keep to it, and don't give up!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
past a certain point there are diminishing returns gaining additional muscle mass.. and endurance sports like bicycling and running. Most of the serious folk I know in both arenas are actually pretty light weight wise (low body fat percentage though). I'm not saying don't strength train, but train appropriately for your goals.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro, 10 Core 3 GHz Intel Xeon W, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB HD, Vega 64 GPU
For those of you looking for a good nutrition/exercise plan, I would recommend two. The first is called Body for Life, and it's a book you can pick up at your local bookstore or via Amazon. The book outlines a 90 day program composed of strength training and cardio coupled with a low fat, low carb, high protein diet.

For those looking for something more intense, I would recommend the P90x program. Again, this is a strength training and cardio program coupled with an excellent nutrition outline. However, the workouts are quite intense, and I wouldn't recommend just jumping into this one unless you're somewhat in shape already.

Sean

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh man, the p90x yoga disc alone is harsh :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.