defrag hard drive and finder problems

L

lindsaycb

I have a G4 with OS 9.2.2 and I think there is something wrong with Finder. It gave me an "Finder" error type 41 on bootup one time.

The same computer was having problems a few weeks ago and I was able to get back working again with a re-install of OS 9.2.2 but I thought it did a clean install but the software was still there and files, so I guess I didn't do a clean install. Cause now the finder is bad again...

It worked for a little while but now everytime I boot into the OS, it freezes on me. Even if I boot with the base Extensions, it freezes. The only time it works is when I boot with Extensions off, however then I lose CD-ROM capability.

I have Norton Utilities 7.0, but I can't use it since it freezes by the time I double-click on the icon. Can I boot from the Cd-rom and do a defrag on the hard drive using Speed Disk? No matter what I do, I can't do a defrag on the hard drive, can't figure it out with Norton Utilities.

I'm playing with the extensions and I recently got an error type 10.

Is there anyway to fix the Finder?

And yes, I'm a Mac Newbie but I'm learning slowly!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
sounds like a corrupt os, a clean install would most likely be best. its very possible that norton product caused the problems, it did for me back in os 9.2.2, exact same thing, had to do a clean install. to boot from the cd, not recommended, insert it, shut down your mac, boot up holding down the C on the keyboard until it boots up from the disc.
have you recently , or since the problem started, installed any new software that may be causing an extension conflict?

OP
L

lindsaycb

Macman said:
sounds like a corrupt os, a clean install would most likely be best. its very possible that norton product caused the problems, it did for me back in os 9.2.2, exact same thing, had to do a clean install. to boot from the cd, not recommended, insert it, shut down your mac, boot up holding down the C on the keyboard until it boots up from the disc.
have you recently , or since the problem started, installed any new software that may be causing an extension conflict?

Okay, so would the clean install wipe away all of the system programs and files?? If not, then what would it replace??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yea, you probably did an upgrade installation, youd hacve to select it as a erase and install.

OP
L

lindsaycb

Macman said:
yea, you probably did an upgrade installation, youd hacve to select it as a erase and install.

Well, now when I boot with the OS 9.2 cd in the drive, I can't even install the OS. Says that "The program cannot run on your computer. See the documentation for more information."

When I boot from the Norton disk it cannot find the hard drive to check for disk doctor or speed disk.

Maybe I have a corrupt hard drive instead??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.