• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Constantly getting returned emails from a bank?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13 Inch Aluminum 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB
So for a while now I have been getting these returned emails and they have some Asutralian bank name on them and they are always Australian email addresses as well. Of course I have not sent any email to anyone in Australia since I don't know anyone there unfortunately. Anyway, the email address they are coming to is the one attached to my paypal account and so it makes me wonder if this is an attempt to get my password or some such thing. I always delete the emails and ignore them since I know that I didn't send anything to be returned in the first place.

Can anyone help me figure this out or know anything about why this is happening? Is someone else possibly trying to use my email? Should I just keep doing what I'm doing and keep deleting them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Your suspicion is the likely answer.

You could review the header of the the e-mail and if the from and reply-to are consistent between all of them, look into seeing if the bank is real.

More often than not, this is a phishing attempt to gain information from you for fraud purposes. Even if the header looks legitimate, often links placed in the e-mail go to some other location to try to get you to give up information. In this case, links may go to a site that looks identical to PP but is a fake.

So if you don't want to deal with it, then yes, ignore them.

In Mail I would add a rule to mark it as junk mail if it isn't already be identified as such.

I once had a famous British mobile company sending e-mail to my domain for a username I know doesn't exist, since I set the half dozen up that do exist. Since the e-mail seemed ligit, I tried a few times letting them know. Still, every few months I'd get another. I eventually made a rule that if they sent something to that name and it was from the, that is would be instantly deleted. Why should I have to deal with their incompetence.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13 Inch Aluminum 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB
Thanks for the reply. I will just continue to ignore the e mails. I have been getting lots of them though so it's pretty annoying. That kind of dishonesty really makes me sick. I finally stopped getting e mails from Nigeria telling me about my distant relatives death and my inheritance. lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Usually these fake emails purport to come from Westpac, Commonwealth, St George and NAB bank. Just ignore. They are phishing for account details.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.