just bought a used PPC G5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 ghz G5, 4g ram, OSX 10.5.
I just bought a used PPC G5 2.5 ghz, 4g RAM. Keyword is PPC. How stupid am I??

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah but I got this dinosaur of a machine (PPC)... can't even get snow leopard. Apple treating us PPCers like step children. For real, how dumb was this!? Gosh!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just bought a used PPC G5 2.5 ghz, 4g RAM. Keyword is PPC. How stupid am I??

As D3v1L80Y pointed out, that's a nice machine. Very capable. As for the second part of your post... unless you overpaid for it, I don't see it as being a "stupid" purchase. You can't run Windows on it or upgrade to Snow Leopard, but aside from that, the machine still has lots of life left.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
yeah but I got this dinosaur of a machine (PPC)... can't even get snow leopard. Apple treating us PPCers like step children. For real, how dumb was this!? Gosh!
That machine is far from being a "dinosaur" and there was nothing dumb about the purchase you made.
As far as Apple treating PPC owners like step children... c'mon, technology will advance and they can't include every machine in the lineup for OS updates.
I remember hearing the same sentiments when they dropped floppy drives from machines, when they changed over to OS X from the previous line of System software, when they dropped support for Classic...etc.
There has to be a cutoff point somewhere.

Still, you won't need Snow Leopard to have a great machine.
I still have a G5 (which is even older than yours) and I haven't even upgraded to OS X 10.5 Leopard.
The computer is still functioning and doing a fine job of it.
I'm not losing any sleep, productivity, etc. because of it and nobody is killing puppies and kittens because I don't have a newer machine.

Just because a machine is older doesn't have to mean it is 'obsolete', a piece of junk or a complete waste of money if you buy one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Apparently you are stupid enough to not only buy the machine (which is still a great piece of hardware), but you are also stupid enough to come here and not just tell us about it, but to whine about your own stupidity to us. That is pretty stupid I must admit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
I was in the same situation as you last year.

I had a choice of a PowerMac G5 or a Intel iMac.

The iMac really doesn't appeal to me as its just a consumer system, so against what everyone said I bought the G5.

I was impressed - coming from a Core2Quad PC - with the speed etc of the dual 2.7's.

I bought a new Mac Pro in January and its not really noticeably faster - probably because all I use is safari and spotify/iTunes on it though! You could say I was stupid buying a Mac Pro for my needs - but I wanted the 30" ACD! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Really, it depends on why, exactly, you bought it.

It's quite powerful, very expandable, and will run most software quite well. (You don't mention whether it's a 2-core or 4-core machine, but even a 2-core machine would be a decent performer.) It will run Leopard, iLife '09, Adobe CS4, and most current software. For what most people do, most of the time, it's a very capable machine that can be upgraded easily. You can fit a lot more memory and disks into that case than you could with, say, a brand-new iMac.

So long as you didn't pay too much, and aren't buying it just to brag about it, it could be a good system for years and years to come.

Now, if you paid too much, need to run Windows, or spend most of your time doing 3D animation, high-end gaming, or video editing, then you made a dumb decision.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Don't worry about it ~ enjoy it. SL seems to be more for the developers and SW writers than the users and Leopard will be around for a long, long time yet. Just consider there are still folk using OS 8.x.x that came installed as the original software on their early iMacs.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I remember hearing the same sentiments when they dropped floppy drives from machines, when they changed over to OS X from the previous line of System software, when they dropped support for Classic...etc.
There has to be a cutoff point somewhere.

The cutoff point should be a reasonable 3 years or so after the last PPC sale. I believe they were still selling PPC, what? like a year ago... Just seems too quick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The cutoff point should be a reasonable 3 years or so after the last PPC sale. I believe they were still selling PPC, what? like a year ago... Just seems too quick.
No, they haven't manufactured or sold a PPC machine since 2006... right within your own "reasonable 3 years" guideline.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Intel came out early 2006. It's been quite a while since Apple has sold a PPC machine. So no, I don't think it's too quick at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Yep, the last PPC Mac was released in August 2006, it was the PowerMac G5. Three years this August. Snow Leopard is being released in September and will drop PPC support. That's three years and one month since the last new PPC Mac was sold.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, the last PPC Mac was released in August 2006, it was the PowerMac G5. Three years this August. Snow Leopard is being released in September and will drop PPC support. That's three years and one month since the last new PPC Mac was sold.

What?! oh **** no, the Mac Pro's were all intel? Pretty sure the first ones were PPC. That's lame. Apple sux!

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now, if you paid too much, need to run Windows, or spend most of your time doing 3D animation, high-end gaming, or video editing, then you made a dumb decision.

My wife runs the latest edition of Final Cut Pro (full edition) plus after effects and Adobe CS4 on her 1.6ghz, 2G ram, dual Core G5 from '04 and everything works fine. So even then I don't think it would be a dumb decision.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My wife runs the latest edition of Final Cut Pro (full edition) plus after effects and Adobe CS4 on her 1.6ghz, 2G ram, dual Core G5 from '04 and everything works fine. So even then I don't think it would be a dumb decision.

Then why start a thread asking if you made a dumb decision purchasing a used Dual 2.5 G5 then? You seem to already know it's not a bad decision.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then why start a thread asking if you made a dumb decision purchasing a used Dual 2.5 G5 then? You seem to already know it's not a bad decision.

the bad decision was regarding the PPC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
A PowerMac G5 is a Power PC. There are no G5 Intel's.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A PowerMac G5 is a Power PC. There are no G5 Intel's.

I believe the first Mac Pro's (not the G5) were still PPC's. I remember going in to an Apple store and salesman told me the rest of the line was Intel except for the Mac Pro's.

Then he said if you want an Intel mac you might as well buy a PC... ouch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.