boot camp won't install xp home edition

Reaction score
Hello!
I have a 2006 Mac Book Pro running Leopard and I recently tried to install Windows XP Home SP2 through Boot Camp. At first I set the partition at the minimum of 5GB and Windows would not install. I then upped the partition to 10GB, and it will still not install. Windows goes through the whole setup, and then when it says "windows is starting up" it chugs away for about 30 seconds and comes up with the dreaded Windows blue screen that says "initialization failed." I tried installing my friend's version of XP pro, and that seemed to install fine, but I can't use that version because my S/N is for Home Edition. I also tried another Home disc with similar blue screen results.
Any ideas? Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like an incompatible version of XP Home SP2 is being used. The only versions that will work right are:

1. MS Full install boxed version of XP Home or Pro SP2 or 3.

2. OEM system builders full install of XP Home or Pro SP2 or 3.

Recovery versions, restore versions, OEM branded versions (Dell, Sony, Toshiba, HP, etc.), and corporate versions will not work.

Regards.

OP
W
Reaction score
I bought a new retail version of XP Home SP2, and it will still not work

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I bought a new retail version of XP Home SP2, and it will still not work

Is it a full install version or upgrade? Upgrade copies will not work.

Regards.

OP
W
Reaction score
it is a full version, not an upgrade. i managed to install the disc through parallels alone, by creating a new disc image for the install cd and changing it to an .iso rather than .dmg. So, i know the disc can work, i would just like to figure out a way to do the same thing to install it on bootcamp because i'll be running some pretty heavy applications and I would like to have native windows to run them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Sounds like you need to get your laptop checked, it shouldn't do that even if it's a fake Windows CD.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I find it strange that you could install your friend's copy of XP Pro but not a legal full install copy of Windows XP Home SP2?

As Tarek has replied (not withstanding his remarks about a fake copy) you may have to check your hard drive. Boot your MBP with your original Leopard DVD and run Disk Utility from the top menu "Utilities". Verify, and if necessary repair the hard drive of all errors. (if any)

I can't see any other reason why XP should not install especially since you were able to install it via Parallels. That tells us the CD and version are good.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.