Delete? Backspace?

Reaction score
Coming from the PC Word world, I am used to using both delete and backspace to make one letter corrections in typing. Obviously in Pages, the delete key either does nothing or something unexpected. I can delete whole words by using opt/del. But how can I delete only the letter to the left of the cursor?

And - while I get myself ready to read the manual - could someone just tell me basically what the fn.; control; alt/option and command keys do?

Now where did I put that manual. AH, there is no manual, right?

While we are talking, how can I reset the default font and size?

I promise to start doing my homework, but I got this letter to type.

Thanks.

Please don’t hate me, but which of the three spell correction methods works like Word? :( :(

Reaction score
On a Mac keyboard, "Fn", much like on a PC laptop, controls access to the alternate functions for the "Function" keys along the top of the keyboard.

Control, alt/option, and Command all serve as modifier keys. You come from the PC World, so you know what CTRL and ALT can do. These are the same sort of thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Coming from the PC Word world, I am used to using both delete and backspace to make one letter corrections in typing. Obviously in Pages, the delete key either does nothing or something unexpected. I can delete whole words by using opt/del. But how can I delete only the letter to the left of the cursor?
The Delete key does what it says it does. It Deletes whatever you have selected, or whatever you'd most recently typed.

If you have a full keyboard, there is another key that deletes whatever is ahead of the insertion point; if you have a laptop or a mini keyboard, you can do this by pressing fn+delete.

For some reason, Microsoft perefers to call the key iin that position "Backspace." Does it go back a space? Does it insert a space back...behind...something? No, it...Deletes. Go figure.

And - while I get myself ready to read the manual - could someone just tell me basically what the fn.; control; alt/option and command keys do?
Command is for keyboard shortcuts.
Option is for typing special characters. Control has several functions. Both Option and Control also expand on other keyboard shortcuts.

Fn is there to remind you what a tiny keyboard you have. See above.

There's a manual for the hardware. The software has a Help file, which is pretty darned good. There are also video tutorials on Apple's site.

While we are talking, how can I reset the default font and size?
In Pages? Just like with Word, you have to change the default template. Set up a blank document with the font, size, and margins you would like, save it somewhere, and set it as the template for new documents in Preferences.

Please don’t hate me, but which of the three spell correction methods works like Word? :( :(
I think you want the Check Spelling As You Type option. It's kind of hard to tell; Word has several spelling modes too.

Reaction score
For some reason, Microsoft perefers to call the key iin that position "Backspace." Does it go back a space? Does it insert a space back...behind...something? No, it...Deletes. Go figure.
For the record, Microsoft never named the Backspace key. It's been around and referred to as the backspace key since before computers.

Backspace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apple's the one that decided to change the name for *their* key. Go figure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 3.06GHz, 1TB HD, 4GB RAM; MBP 15" 2.53 GHz
For the record, Microsoft never named the Backspace key. It's been around and referred to as the backspace key since before computers.

Backspace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Roger, dodger, S.SubZero. You beat me to the punch. It was a backspace on typewriters because that was exactly what it did. If you wanted to make something bold on an old IBM selectric, you backspaced and typed the same letters again. At least Apple had the courtesy to call the return key the "return" key.... :)

photo.php

I am certainly no Microsoft apologist, but shouldn't we be careful not to lay blame for all the ills in the world at their feet - even those having to do with PC-based computers, which Microsoft did NOT even invent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Simply put, when you have selected a word or sentence by highlighting it, the "delete" key acts as a delete key and deletes your selection. When nothing is selected and you have a cursor, it acts like a backspace key. My dad can't stand it and he thinks there should be pg up, pg dwn and home and end keys.

Much more complicated than you need. I NEVER, EVER used any of those when I had a PC...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Never said they did. They've had almost twenty years to change things, and they never have. Though you might also blame IBM, since it built the first PC keyboards, but IBM ceased to have any influence at all long ago.

In the typewriter days, it did move the carriage back one stop. Kind of like the left arrow key does on computers.

Changing the name to reflect the change in function. Go figure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Coming from the PC Word world,

I promise to start doing my homework, but I got this letter to type.
:( :(

If u want to see a reasonable take on the differences you could look here

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
My dad can't stand it and he thinks there should be pg up, pg dwn and home and end keys.

You can tell your dad that the space bar is pg dwn and shift+space bar is pg up. Ctrl+left arrow is home and Ctrl+right arrow is end.

Reaction score
Never said they did. They've had almost twenty years to change things, and they never have. Though you might also blame IBM, since it built the first PC keyboards, but IBM ceased to have any influence at all long ago.
It's not Microsoft's job to change keyboard layouts. Manufacturers can have the key say whatever they want. As the term "backspace" has migrated from typewriters to PC keyboards, I guess nobody has seen a need to change the name. Contrary to your previous comment about the function of the key, the "backspace" key goes back.. a space. Again, not a behavior Microsoft controls. Any PC maker could suddenly decide to make the backspace key do something COMPLETELY different (drivers allow for such things), but perhaps no PC keyboard maker feels the key needs to behave differently than it does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac; Intel Core i7 Processor
problem with delete key function

I have accidentally changed the function of my delete key while working on a document in Word 2011 for Mac :'( (iMac 11,3 27inch, intel core i7) How do I get it back to what I have become used to -- a backspace key!
Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.