Hooking up to Direct TV

Reaction score
I forgot to check out before I bought. On my HP it had an HDMI port to hookup to DirectTV, DVD player etc. I know the IMac I bought deoes not have that, but is there a way to connect Direct TV to it and watch TV on it?

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you're talking about an HP notebook or computer, that HDMI port would have been an output port, not input.

If you're talking about an HP monitor and you're wanting to connect external devices to your iMac to view them, then NO, there is no input for viewing external devices on your iMac screen. You will need a video capture card to do that as with any of the "all-in-one" systems whether by Apple, Dell & others that I have seen.

The most popular of these for the Mac are the TV tuner cards by El Gato. But there are several brands out there now including one by the company one of our mods works for. (Aptmunich, now's your chance - I never can remember the name of yours, plus I'm at work and don't have my bookmarks.) You can find them with a quick google.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.