Network Printer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 13" MacBookPro 2.26 GHz, 5 Gb, 500 GB, OS X 10.6.5
Hi,

I just switched to Mac two days ago. I have a question on connecting to the network printer in my school. In windows to connect to printer I use >Add Printer > Network Printer > and use Connect Printer > type in "\\server\printer" and thats it. windows automatically installs the required drivers.

How can I install the same printer on my macbook?

Thanks a lot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Sure, you'll need the drivers though (I say this because I have issues with how multiple printer manufacturers deal.. or refuse to deal.. with anything other than windows). What type of printer is it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
Sure, you'll need the drivers though (I say this because I have issues with how multiple printer manufacturers deal.. or refuse to deal.. with anything other than windows). What type of printer is it?

In my experience, I've only been able to share a printer between Macs (without even doing anything, actually), and not between Windows and Mac, because of the driver issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I've really had no issues, with decent drivers (except for HP printers, which well.. just seem to have issues with their mac support.. to the point where their lower end lasers have NO mac support, hpijs MIGHT work but..)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
From the Help file.

1. Open a document to print, and then choose File > Print.
2. Choose Add Printer from the Printer pop-up menu, select the printer in the dialog that appears, and then click Add.
The dialog lists shared, Bonjour, AppleTalk, and Open Directory printers. You may need to wait a short while before your printer appears.

3. If you don't see your printer, click More Printers, choose your printer's type from the pop-up menu in the dialog that appears, select the printer, and then click Add.

If the specific type of printer you're using is listed, choose that type. For example, if you're using an Epson AppleTalk printer, you may be able to choose Epson AppleTalk.

If you choose AppleTalk, another pop-up menu appears that lets you choose the AppleTalk zone for the printer.
Check your own Help file for updated information; the above may be a little out of date.

OP
sachadon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 13" MacBookPro 2.26 GHz, 5 Gb, 500 GB, OS X 10.6.5
Thanks a lot guys.... I got it working... I was actually putting wrong IP address so far .. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.