• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Question about XHA1s and Mac Book Pro

Reaction score
So I recently got the 17 inch MacBook Pro, and I just received my Canon XHA1s.

XHA1s doesn't use USB, only firewire cable. It didn't come with the cable, I had to order it in separately. Now the 17 inch MacBook Pro uses firewire, but my firewire cable won't fit, is there an adapter or something?

And I guess for those who have more experience with moving footage to the MBP, is there a different way to get my footage from the XHA1s to the MBP or is firewire really the only way, seeing as the XHA1s records on miniDV.

Essentially, what I want to do, is record on my minDV tapes, and then later, through the camera, be able to copy the data onto my MBP.

So any help would be really appreciated, I'm new to all of this, and I just wanna know how to get anything I record onto my computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Basically, your MBP has a Firewire 800 port, your camera has a Firewire 400 port.

There are a few options to you:

1) Get a Firewire 800 -> Firewire 400 Adapter cable (see: Amazon.com: Sonnet FireWire 400 to 800 Adapter (FAD-824): Electronics)

2) If you're going to get an external HD for your video, get one that has both firewire 800 and firewire 400 and will allow you to chain onto the 400 with the hd connected via the 800 (I use this chassis myself: Amazon.com: Macally GS350SUAB Hi-Speed eSATA/1394A/1394B/USB2.0 Storage Enclosure for 3.5inch SATA HDD: Electronics to step my 800 fw to 400 and have a hd connected...)

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I'll probably get both the external HD and the 800-400 adapter.

Either way, I appreciate the answer. I figured those would be my two likeliest options, but I wasn't sure if there were other choices I was unaware of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Well, I've seen some firewire to usb connectors, but I don't think any work with osx.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.