Internet Problems

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have recently bought a MacBook which I am having trouble connecting to the internet. On my old laptop I used a Speedtouch 330 modem which isn't compatible with the Mac. The modem connects to the computer via a USB port.

Will my mac be able to connect to the internet if I connect the USB modem up to an AirPort, or will I still have a compatibility problem?

Any ideas what to do?

Thanks for any help,
Tom

OP
T
Reaction score
Afraid not, the updates only support Tiger and not Leopard. Would the easiest solution be to just buy another modem?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Have you tried the driver on Leopard? If you have and it does not work then yes, get a modern modem that hooks up via Ethernet and maybe even a modem and router with WiFi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
You'll have to let us know if those driver work, according to what I read here:

SpeedTouch 330 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and looking at the alcatel drivers through the link from dtravis, they are ppc only drivers and won't work on Intel Macs (regardless of OS implementation).

If it doesn't I'd suggest one of two things:

1) Get your DSL provider to supply you with a different DSL modem that has an ethernet connection on it.

2) Get a cheap intel box and get ipcop (IPCop.org :: The bad packets stop here!) which in the wikipedia page on the 330 modem, it mentions that ipcop can use that modem - setup the ipcop machine as your router and use that as your gateway machine.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing!

OP
T
Reaction score
I tried the driver but had no success with it, so bought myself a Netgear wireless modem router. Everything now works like it's supposed to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.