making everything avail from admin to user

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 ghz G5, 4g ram, OSX 10.5.
is there a quick way to make all admin files avail to users? as of now I know how to do it by "get info" on the individual files, but is there a quick, global way to do this?

I've been using the admin acct, and want to start using the user acct and just keep the admin for settings but can't access all my new files from the admin. thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The "idea" is to utilize a user account for everyday computing rather than the admin account. While OS X is fairly immune to the type of malware and virus infections that are common in Windows, it's still a good idea to keep your admin account separate.

What admin files do you need to have access to? Normally, it's a simple matter of logging out as user and logging back in as admin in order to install software. Even at that, you can always open terminal and use "sudo" plus the command. It will ask for your password.

Regards.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 ghz G5, 4g ram, OSX 10.5.
The "idea" is to utilize a user account for everyday computing rather than the admin account. While OS X is fairly immune to the type of malware and virus infections that are common in Windows, it's still a good idea to keep your admin account separate.

What admin files do you need to have access to? Normally, it's a simple matter of logging out as user and logging back in as admin in order to install software. Even at that, you can always open terminal and use "sudo" plus the command. It will ask for your password.

Regards.

right... so now what I want to do is now start to do that. I need to make all the downloads and new installs, music, etc. now available to the User. How is this possible?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.