Thumbnails -> Photos?

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just took a long vacation in Europe, and took lots of pictures. Each night I would upload them into iphoto (I have 6.0.6 on my Powerbook) and erase them from the camera.

One night when I did this, my camera battery shut down part of the way through, so I had to redo the upload the next day. All seemed to be well, though--some photos went through the "retrieval" process and I thought all of them were in there. So I proceeded to erase the originals from the camera, as per usual.

However, I now find that, though the thumbnails show up in my iphoto and I can see the images in miniature, I get a blank space (sometimes with an exclamation point in it) for all but those photos that were "retrieved" from that day. The computer claims that the original files are completely gone--but why then would I still have functioning thumbnails that I can see?

Is there any way I can get back these precious pictures? Or should I resign myself to blanks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
You might try a rebuild of your iPhoto library. The instructions are on the Apple site, but for some reason, I cannot get it to open (on a PC at work). Look on the apple site for "rebuild" and "iPhoto".

Reaction score
did you find a solution to your problem? i'm looking for the same solution

i'm wondering if you found out how to fix your problem.... my son and i took a trip, like you, and my photos disappeared...

Hey all,

I just took a long vacation in Europe, and took lots of pictures. Each night I would upload them into iphoto (I have 6.0.6 on my Powerbook) and erase them from the camera.

One night when I did this, my camera battery shut down part of the way through, so I had to redo the upload the next day. All seemed to be well, though--some photos went through the "retrieval" process and I thought all of them were in there. So I proceeded to erase the originals from the camera, as per usual.

However, I now find that, though the thumbnails show up in my iphoto and I can see the images in miniature, I get a blank space (sometimes with an exclamation point in it) for all but those photos that were "retrieved" from that day. The computer claims that the original files are completely gone--but why then would I still have functioning thumbnails that I can see?

Is there any way I can get back these precious pictures? Or should I resign myself to blanks?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.