• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Exporting to MPEG-4 using FCE 4.01

Reaction score
I am trying to create .m2ts files as a result of my video editing in FCE 4.01. The problem is that the more suitable option for me is MPEG-4, but when I try to export with 1920x1080 reolution the output file is terrible, with very low quality. So here are the questions:
1- Is it possible to export to an .m2ts file (AVCHD)?
2- Is it possible to export to an MPEG-4 file with 1080i resolution?
3- Is it possible to import AVCHD files not as a .mov , but as a .m2ts?

Thanks!:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Your problem is probably you're using the default settings on export. The default settings for mp4 on export are probably the worst imaginable.

When you select conversion
File format: mp4
press options button
There, in file format select: mp4 (instead of mp4 (isma))
Video Format: H.264
Data Rate: I'd try 4500 to start and go up or down depending on result - I usually export 720 and not 1080 so you may need a higher bitrate
Image Size: Set for your dimensions
Frame Rate: defaults to 30, depending on your region, and what you want your video for, select the appropriate entry - you should also be able to set it to current which I believe will export at the framerate of the footage.
Key Frame: default is 24. I usually set this to 15 (I don't remember where I read about it somewhere, but at some point I read something that someone suggested keyframes about 1/2 frame rate. I honestly can't explain why, but it has yielded good results for me YMMV)

1) It is not possible to export from FCE to .m2ts.
2) It is possible to export mpeg4 @ 1080i but you have to customize your settings
3) No. FCE and FCP do not edit native AVCHD, it has to be converted to another editable codec. On final cut express, if you set it up correctly, you should be using AVCHD - Apple Intermediate Codec 1920x1080i60 (one of the top selections on the easy setup)

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks Nethfel, I'll try it out and see if it works. Thanks for being very timely in your response. Regards

OP
B
Reaction score
Nethfel, you are the man!

I applied yesterday your suggestions and it worked perfectly. Thank you so much!
Now the only missing piece that I still have to test is to see of the image will stop to jump every 1 second. It may be happening because HD videos are usually not very well displayed with the Radeon Video card that comes with the Mac Pro. I will try it out with the PS3 reading it and I'll let you know.
Thank you once again,
Beto

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
That jumping might be due to changing the frames per second (fps) from 24 to 30 or vise versa. You see this often with HD material on Vimeo because they only convert to 24fps for HD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.