• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Speck see thru hard shell vs Invisible shield...Have one? Thoughts?

Reaction score
Eustis Florida (50 miles north of Orlando)
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro 2.26Ghz/4GB/750GB WD HDD
I've decided I need a case for my 13" MBP now. So I won't be waiting on speck to come out with the see thru case for it. I'm ok buying the unibody macbook version of the speck case for it if I decide to go with it. The Invisible shield is the other I'm considering. They both have pros and cons to me. If you have either please post with your thoughts.

Or feel free to suggest a different case you may have and think highly of.

Thanks

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I have invisible shield. Only two cons. It takes a lot of concentration to apply the skin on correctly, without air bubbles. My other gripe is that there is liquid involved. To be on the safe side you need to have towels covering the vents and the keyboard.

OP
vrsantana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All in all, the protection from the invisible shield is almost similar to that of the speck hard shell isn't it? Neither really provide any type of shock absorption from a fall or strike. So, if I was to go with the one with less bulk and keeps the overall sleek look of the MBP, I would have to go with the Invisible shield.

Did I just sell this to myself? LOL!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
All in all, the protection from the invisible shield is almost similar to that of the speck hard shell isn't it? Neither really provide any type of shock absorption from a fall or strike. So, if I was to go with the one with less bulk and keeps the overall sleek look of the MBP, I would have to go with the Invisible shield.

Did I just sell this to myself? LOL!

Not sure what the warranty on the Speck Cases, but I do know Invisible shield has lifetime warranty.

OP
vrsantana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How did you fair getting yours on? Any tips? Most likely getting the invisible shield. I've had one on my iphone, and I do agree about how hard it is to put on without bubbles. I can only imagine how hard it will be to put one on about 10 times bigger. Not looking forward to it.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How did you fair getting yours on? Any tips? Most likely getting the invisible shield. I've had one on my iphone, and I do agree about how hard it is to put on without bubbles. I can only imagine how hard it will be to put one on about 10 times bigger. Not looking forward to it.

I'm a perfectionist when it comes to these kind of things. Took me roughly 2hrs to get it on without any bubbles.

The stuff comes with some special liquid in a bottle that you use to spray a mist on the shield and then you apply. They also give you a card thingy to get the air bubbles out.

I had lots of towels covering the vents and the keyboard. The spray runs out pretty quickly, so I also had a tub of water next to me. I just dunked the shield in the water and then let the excess water run off and applied it that way.

It seems easier with the water because it gives you some room to "float" slide the shield around before it adheres to the surface.

OP
vrsantana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will definitely try the tub of water technique. I appreciate your input. It's always nice to hear from someone who's done it before.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Check out incase's hard shells. They're almost some kind of soft gel on the outside and hard on the inside. A friend convinced me to get one for my MBP and I'm glad I did, much better than the Speck hard shell I previously had.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.