What Do You Use For Photo Editing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
Other than Adobe Photoshop what do you use to edit your images?

Also - how do you do it? The reason why I ask is that all my photos are in my iPhoto app. When I try and edit in iPhoto it changes the main file - which is not what I want really.

Will I need to click on the photo in iPhoto, select Original, then open that in the photo editing program?

Thanks,

Chris.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
I use iPhoto. Every photo there is stored in a floder(s) on your hard drive. Hmm. I think Photo editing is a weakspot for the mac, frankly. iPhoto and Photoshop is about it I think.

OP
chrismac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So does the photo get duplicated when edited?

Reaction score
I use Aperture and Adobe Elements 6. I dont really use iphoto at all except for books and slide shows.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I don't edit many photos but there is much available to you: Paintbrush, Acorn, PixelMator, Photoshop Elements, etc. What kind of photo editing do you do: detailed or simple minor elements?

Your best bet is to simply copy the pictures elsewhere, edit them and then replace/move them as you see fit.

OP
chrismac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just simple editing - cropping, auto levels, etc.

I think Photoshop is overkill for me at the moment.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
iPhoto doesn't edit the original photo. When you edit a photo it makes a copy and the original is left untouched. You can always revert back to the original if you so choose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 13-inch, 4Gb Ram, 250 HD with 1TB External, 16GB Iphone 3GS
Adobe Lightroom Is quite good also

Reaction score
I'm a professional photographer and use PS Elements (have used full versions of 2, 3, 5 and 7) to edit copies of the original photographs. Recently got Aperture 2 to organize the tens of thousands of photos. It was a waste of money. Apples video tutorial make it look easy, but what i got was nothing like the tutorial and the manual is 700 pages. With that kind of learning curve, now looking at getting Lightroom. Apple will not refund for software or post the the bad reviews given. Elements gives you a lot of power for the money. Unless you are making serious art or need faster editing, you don't need the full version of PS.

Reaction score
Currently, I'm only using Adobe Lightroom for my photography.

I started out using only Photoshop + Camera Raw for my processing workflow, but I can honestly say that Lightroom has made things so much easier.

Unless I need to do specific/precise retouching, composites, and/or "final touches", lightroom is all I really need.

Definitely try the trial version out and see what you think!

Best,
-AC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Machine Name: iBook G4 Machine Model: PowerBook6,3 CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (3.3) Number Of CPUs:
Outlaw

I have acquired a G4 i down loaded Elements 2 I have ordered 6. I noticed that I cant use the How To facility. It worked on XP any idea ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
i use Photoshop CS3 extended but i recently got Lightroom 2 and i just opened it up today and it seems so much easier to edit photos. Just as AC said

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" Glossy 2.16 gHz/2gig/320g
I picked up CS4 extended and LR2 at the same time. For my light duty stuff, i use LR2, for my more creative stuff, I use CS4. Only problem with LR2 is that I am still trying to master the catalog issues....

OP
chrismac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for thd replies. I used CS4 on my windows machine and although it is great (done done cool stuff after following some online guides) I find it overkill.

All I want to do is auto adjust levels, maybe adjust contrast etc, do some cropping, and resizing.

Which app most suits the bill?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I like Pixelmator.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
If you want to see both your original and edited photos in iPhoto make a duplicate first and edit that.

OP
chrismac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I just got hold of Lightroom 2.

It looks very nice I must say. I just need to learn how to use it now!

Do you use iPhoto for your events, then Lightroom for your editing?

Or, Lightroom for everything?

OP
chrismac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So far - not impressed! I cannot look through my iPhoto gallery and import a photo to edit. I cannot drag and drop either.

Looks like if I want to use Lightroom then I need to ditch iPhoto?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White 2Ghz 2Gig RAM 120Gig HDD
gimp, not bad, considering its free.

Reaction score
I use Lightroom 2 and Elements 6. Find Lightroom does most of what I want and only move to elements to perform more complicated cloning. Shoot exclusively in RAW and save files to an external HDD which is backed up to another HDD.

Try the free Lightroom trial from Adobe. You may find you dont need anything else.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.