Printing over network to a Dell 1125

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I've had my MacBook a couple of months now and have finally gotten around to setting up my home network. The printer, a Dell 1125, is hooked up to a Dell laptop in the basement. My MacBook recognized both the computer and the printer, but when I try to print, nothing happens. On the OSX printer setup, there is no driver listed for the Dell 1125, so I tried the generic driver. No dice. I've looked around the internet for info, and most of the stuff I've found says that Dell printers basically don't work with Macs. Is this universal, or might there be a workaround for this issue? I'd hate to have to put my files on my USB stick and go downstairs every time I want to print, but it's looking like that might be the solution. Anybody know of a better one?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Everything I've read says that the Dell 1125 is a host based printer, and as such needs Windows drivers or be part of a Windows network in order to print.
No drivers for OS X that I could find.

Other than running Windows on your MacBook via Boot Camp, the only other suggestion I can give you is to buy another printer. One supported by both your Windows PC and the Mac. Canon printers are generally Mac friendly, easy to setup even for wireless, and come with drivers for both OS X and Windows.

Regards.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
chscag is right, Dell only makes and sells Windows PCs, so they don't develop drivers for OS X.

With that said, most Dell printers are simply rebranded Lexmarks. So, if you can find the corresponding Lexmark model, you might be able to find a driver. But to be quite honest, life will likely be a lot easier if you pick up a printer that is networkable from the factory and comes with Mac friendly drivers. Unfortunately, a big weak spot for OS X is port redirection, which is required for using a normally local printer over a network using a print server.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.