Converting mp3 to AAC question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
Hi, I' not entirely certain what I want to do is even possible, but if anyone can help I would be very grateful.

I currently have my mp3 collection sorted by genre in separate folders (anal I know...)

I am wanting to encode all of my MP3 files into AAC, purely as I listen to my music on my ipod and want to free up some space. I converted a 320kbps MP3 into a 190 AAC and it halved the file size in Toast titanium... which worked great, except all the tags and artwork were removed. I also then had to remove the mp3 file and replace it with the AAC.

I wanted to know, is there any software out there that will convert my music collection and keep the file names, tags and artwork intact and also keep my folder structure without me having to manually delete files in folders then add the converted items?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 Ghz - 4Gig Ram - iPod 60gig Black - iPhone 3GS Black 32gig
I would use itunes (although you would lose your folder structure you would keep all the tags and artwork).

1. Create a Smart Playlist in itunes where the bit rate = 320 - this will now include all of your 320 mp3s.
2. Highlight all the songs in that playlist, right click and choose 'create AAC version'. (If yours says create mp3 version you'll need to change it in the prefs).
3. Once all the songs have been converted go to your smart playlist and select all songs.
4. Hold Option (alt) and press the delete key to trash the high bit rate files.

Another option is to use Max to do the converting Max from sbooth.org

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Be sure to uncheck Keep iTunes Music folder organised, or you converted files will be moved to a different folder

You can set iTunes import settings from the Import settings button in iTunes > Preferences > General

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
That works great! Just converted my entire collection and saved myself nearly 10 gig! Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Glad it worked for you :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.