When Snow Leopard arrives..

Reaction score
Surrey or Sheffield, UK.. or I might even be in Aa
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" (mid-2009 edition), 2.66Ghz, 4GB, 640GB HDD
Just wondering about the best thing to do, really.

I've got a brand new iMac, I bought it after the specified June date, meaning I'll get the upgrade for the price of P&P - I'm a bit worried about waiting weeks for it though, does anyone have any experience of that? I really enjoyed going to the Apple Store with my brother when Leopard came out, at an evening opening thing, so I don't want to be waiting in the wings.

Next thing is, my brother has a Macbook Pro (my old one heh), from about Sept '07. This came with Tiger on it, but we went to the store as above when Leopard came out and bought a family pack, which we installed on both that and his old iBook (a bit obselete now, so don't consider this in what I'm asking).

Since the MBP didn't come with Leopard actually on it, is he still ok to just get the cheaper upgrade option?

Also; will there be a family pack upgrade option? Or should I just get the free P&P upgrade thing and maybe wait around a bit longer, and leave him to get the single upgrade for his machine?

Ta :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Yes, they almost always have a family pack. I don't understand your first question, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I'm a little worried about upgrading right away because of compatibility issues. I'd hate to upgrade and then find out my printer driver isn't compatible with SL. When Leopard came out, it took Adobe weeks to produce a Leopard compatible version of Acrobat. The same with Missing Sync and USB modem. I'd be in trouble if I upgraded the first day and an application I use for work everyday turned out to be incompatible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^You still use Acrobat? I stopped using Adobe Acrobat after I got my PowerBook a couple of years ago. I doubt there will be that many issues with compatibility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
^You still use Acrobat? I stopped using Adobe Acrobat after I got my PowerBook a couple of years ago. I doubt there will be that many issues with compatibility.

What do you use in place of Acrobat?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm a little worried about upgrading right away because of compatibility issues. I'd hate to upgrade and then find out my printer driver isn't compatible with SL. When Leopard came out, it took Adobe weeks to produce a Leopard compatible version of Acrobat. The same with Missing Sync and USB modem. I'd be in trouble if I upgraded the first day and an application I use for work everyday turned out to be incompatible.

That's what backups are for. Time Machine, or use something like SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to make a clone of your system prior to installing Snow Leopard.

Regards.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

What do you use in place of Acrobat?
You guys might be talking about two different things here. One of you appears to be talking about viewing PDFs and the other about creating them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh. I didn't know acrobat creates PDF's. OK, my bad.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Oh. I didn't know acrobat creates PDF's. OK, my bad.
The Acrobat line does. Adobe Reader is simply a means to read documents created by Acrobat and other applications such as OpenOffice or, for that matter, anything that has print capabilities in OS X ;). We all learn new things :).

adz

Reaction score
How will one upgrade?
Is there going to be an upgrade disk for $29 that anyone can buy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By upgrade, they mean UPGRADE from Leopard.

OP
S
Reaction score
Surrey or Sheffield, UK.. or I might even be in Aa
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" (mid-2009 edition), 2.66Ghz, 4GB, 640GB HDD
Yes, they almost always have a family pack. I don't understand your first question, though.

I suppose I was just asking if it's too good to be true, the price! That there might be some hidden catch for someone who's laptop didn't come with Leopard pre-installed and that they upgraded to that.

How very... Windows of me, I suppose? :)

Anyway I now have another Mac myself hehe! I have to think about what to do. My brother will need to pay £30 unless he does get this new iMac he's thinking of, depending on the price of the family pack, it might be worth me chipping in and us getting one of those in-store (i.e. if the family pack will be more than £30+£7.95+£7.95, or near enough equal to it).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.