• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Best consumer HD video camera for Final Cut Express

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I bought a JVC HD30 3 months ago and then bought a new Macbook Pro 2 weeks ago. The .TOD files are not compatible with Final Cut Pro and although there is a mechanism for converting the files, it looks tedious and I am worried about losing quality.

So, I am going to try and return the camera and get a new video camera.

Can I ask for advice on getting a good hard disk high def camcorder that will work immediately with my mac and final cut. I can spend up to £500.

Many Thanks

Tom Mcguire

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I don't know off, off hand, any hd camcorder that records in a format that is natively editable by FCE. Personally, I'd just suggest getting an AVCHD camcorder and use the log and transfer function to convert the AVCHD footage to Apple Intermediate Codec. There are quite a few AVCHD camcorders out there with a lot of really nice features.

You could get an HDV camcorder, but that will require tapes to lug around instead of either an HDD or SD camcorder (plus I don't know if all hdv camcorders are compatible with FCE).

IMHO stay away from camcorders that use their own special format, like the JVC as it will add extra steps of annoyance to the editing process.

I use footage from a Canon HF100 (HD camcorder that records on SDHC cards) and although it takes a little time for FCE to do the conversion through log and transfer - it's all done for me instead of having to use extra software to convert the footage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Most consumer HD cameras seem to be using AVCHD. My understanding is that currently Final Cut Express and iMovie convert that to Apple Intermediate Codec. I'm not sure what FCP does. Given this, I'd look into your conversion options with your camera. I see via the JVC page that there is a 1440CBR mode that is output via the firewire cable as HDV. Current versions of Final Cut can edit HDV natively.

Have you installed the JVC software and worked out the conversion process. With such a bandwidth for the FHD video, I suspect you won't notice much if any loss in the quality. The reality is that it will be there though.

Have you watched the video regarding import. It talks about using QuickTime Pro to convert the FHD videos. You have QuickTime Pro since you have Final Cut Pro. Instead of converting to AIC, you could see if another codec such as Prores gives better results. Since you are new to Mac, I'm assuming you have FCP 6.

I think it is Panasonic who has or is releasing a camera that records to a QuickTime file that Final Cut Pro can read. It is a professional camera and is way more than £500.

Reaction score
FCP needs .mov files, as it runs off of the QuickTime engine. Use Compressor or QT Pro Player (you have both when you install FCP) to convert that stuff to AIC or Pro Res (Pro Res is preferred). Apple has a compatibility list on their FCP web page. You may also want to check out forums that are more FCP knowledgeable such as
2-POP
S. LA. FCP Users Group Network - Support for Final Cut Studio Users in South Louisiana
But you need to have .mov files to work inside FCP, and you want Pro Res (not Pro Res HQ).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BenB: The OP specifically stated Final Cut Express - which means no compressor and no Pro Res. An AVCHD camcorder can have its footage ingested into Final Cut Express (or FCP for that matter) through the use of the Log and Transfer function - no need to transcode through something else before ingesting into the editing software. Since the OP is looking to get rid of his JVC, the best thing for him is to find a camera that can be ingested directly through the camera capture capability or log and transfer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Actually the OP stated FCE in the title and FCP in the body of the question. Now I know why I was confused when first responding to this request.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm, seems your right xstep - I misread the final cut pro in the body of the message.

Regardless tho - fcp is able to directly ingest footage from an AVCHD camcorder without having to convert first to mov... I'd still suggest going with an AVCHD camcorder over JVCs custom format based camcorders so the op can just log and transfer instead of having to go thru a separate program (compressor) to convert the clips to then import into fcp... I'm just one of those that prefers to save launching external apps when it's not needed :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.