iMac keyboard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OS X (10.5.7)
I recently switched to the Imac from Windows XP. While there was/is a small learning curve, I like my new machine. With one exception: that dinky little silver metallic keyboard. My typing speed has been decreased by three-quarters. I spend far too much time backspacing and pounding on the space key. My question: can I replace this thing with a regular PC keyboard with a USB plug that can be purchased at Wal-Mart, Office Depot, etc.? If not, what type of replacement keyboard do I need to buy? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I recommend a full sized aluminum Apple keyboard. They can be purchased for $49.00 direct from Apple or at any Apple store and Best Buy. Link

They also stock the wireless (blue tooth) version.

You might also like the Logitech Di Nova keyboard Mac edition. Link

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OS X (10.5.7)
Thank you,chscag, for the reply. You mentioned the full-sized aluminum Apple keyboard. I'm guessing that is probably what came with the computer and is what I am using -- at least this looks like a full-sized keyboard, just made of aluminum with white keys. This might be OK for a two-finger, hunt-and-peck typer but I type a lot of documents and it is giving me fits. Even emails are a chore with this keyboard. (I wonder if you can use WD-40 on it? :)

T

todd51

Yea, I believe you two are talking about the same keyboard. Any USB keyboard/mouse should easily be compatible with your iMac, just plug it in and it should work fine. Keep in mind if you buy another keyboard there may be no Apple (command) button and you may have to figure out your keyboard shortcuts.

Reaction score
cirq810:

Thanks for the question - and the subsequent replies. I made "the switch" 9 months ago. Have the same problems and would use another keyboard were it not for the pretzel and other keys. Maybe in another 9 months I'll be used to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I'd suggest finding a keyboard with a Mac layout (command, option, and return keys, instead of Windows and alt and enter keys.)

Plenty of companies (Logitech, Kensington, Adesso, even Microsoft) make good Mac keyboards. It will ultimately be less frustrating than having to memorize which keys activate which functions.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thank you,chscag, for the reply. You mentioned the full-sized aluminum Apple keyboard. I'm guessing that is probably what came with the computer and is what I am using -- at least this looks like a full-sized keyboard, just made of aluminum with white keys. This might be OK for a two-finger, hunt-and-peck typer but I type a lot of documents and it is giving me fits. Even emails are a chore with this keyboard. (I wonder if you can use WD-40 on it? :)

The new iMacs I've seen at my local Apple store do come with an aluminum keyboard but it's the shortened version of what I suggested to you. The keyboards I saw had no numeric keypad and were similar to a notebook keyboard. Did you go to the link I provided?

Also, you might like the Logitech model which I also provided a link for. Do not buy a PC keyboard. While they will work somewhat, the Apple specific keys are missing. Also keep in mind that the Apple aluminum keyboards have two additional USB 2.0 low power ports. Good for mouse, camera, thumb drive, etc.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 inch
i use a Mac keyboard on my laptop PC (using a docking station and external monitor) so I have the same key layout on both. When i need an exclusive PC key like "insert" I flip open the laptop.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OS X (10.5.7)
Thanks to all of you for your replies. Chscag, I did look at the two links you provided. I like the looks of the Logitech model although the price tag brings one to a halt. At this point in time, I think I want to get away from the little-thin-aluminum-keyboard that came with the iMac if I can. It is really uncomfortable to type on. I was also surprised at the cost -- PC keyboards are considerably cheaper than the Apple brands, aren't they? There is an Apple store about a hundred miles north of my home town. I think I will drive up there today and look at their 'wares'. I hate to spend a lot of money on something that I may not like. Taking all of your replies into consideration, I see that I should stay away from the less expensive PC keyboards and look for an alternative among the much more expensive Apple keyboards. Again, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I'm not a big fan of the latest iMac/wireless Apple keyboards. They are essentially the exact same layout and form factor of a Macbook keyboard which, while serviceable I wouldn't want to type all day on it. I'll use my Macbook keyboard in a field situation, but prefer to have an external keyboard. At the moment here at the office it's an old Dell USB keyboard that works quite nicely (the 'Windows' key on the keyboard maps out to be the 'Command' key with my Mac) and at home it's an Apple bluetooth wireless. It's the 'old-school' Apple keyboard which was sold before the new flat-macbook-style keyboard and thus is much more conventional.

The bottom line is you can use any USB keyboard with your iMac, and I can fully understand why you would want to replace the keyboard that came with it.

T

todd51

Am I not the only one who actually likes the new iMac keyboards? I bought one for my MBP while it sits on the desk. I know some of you were discussing the wireless ones, which I did not get. I got the full-sized wired one. I love slimness of it and it looks good with my aluminum MBP.

The ONLY problem I have had with it was a couple of times in the past it would act like a key was stuck down and it woudl repeat a couple of letters for approximately 2 seconds. It hasn't done this in ages though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I used to use an old Dell USB keyboard from the Dell 8100 (which now sits on the floor collecting dust) with my MacBook. It worked great, no problems. Didn't need to install anything either. Just plugged it in! The Windows key served as the Command key :)

I actually recently replaced that keyboard with an Apple Wireless keyboard. My typing speed and accuracy has actually increased, which I think is because of the low-profile keys that my fingertips can glide over, and not the big clunky blocks. I type with two fingers though ;)n

Reaction score
I liked the one that came with the iMac so well (with the numeric keypad) that I got another to use with my MacBook when in clamshell mode. The 2 USB ports come in handy all the time too.

Reaction score
Surrey or Sheffield, UK.. or I might even be in Aa
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" (mid-2009 edition), 2.66Ghz, 4GB, 640GB HDD
Am I not the only one who actually likes the new iMac keyboards? I bought one for my MBP while it sits on the desk. I know some of you were discussing the wireless ones, which I did not get. I got the full-sized wired one. I love slimness of it and it looks good with my aluminum MBP.

The ONLY problem I have had with it was a couple of times in the past it would act like a key was stuck down and it woudl repeat a couple of letters for approximately 2 seconds. It hasn't done this in ages though.

You're not alone. I'm a very fast touch typist and I do actually love my mini iMac keyboard to bits. I don't often use the numpad so I suppose I'm one of those people that it just suits down to a tee.

I was expecting to completely hate it, but I 've instead found it lovely to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 3.06GHz, 1TB HD, 4GB RAM; MBP 15" 2.53 GHz

Not at all. In fact, I like mine so much that I bought a second and use it on my PC desktop at work. Maybe this is partly from the last 15 months spent in Iraq on a laptop and the fact that the Mac keyboard is like a laptop keyboard. I do find that I have more errors, at least when I first start typing (I seem to struggle with getting my hands in the right spot despite the markers on the "F" and "J" keys). But after those long months of laptop only, I find the clunky PC keyboards (you know, full-sized, tall keys, etc.) actually uncomfortable to use. I guess one of those low-profile PC keyboards would be okay.

What's funny is how many people see that keyboard at work and ask me about it, with just the slightest tinge of jealousy in their voices. :D

Reaction score
I am using the Logitech S530 Keyboard for Mac. Its silver and white so it matches the iMac look, its wireless, and it has the Mac keyboard layout. It also is a kit so it comes with a laser mouse.

I bought it off ebay fairly cheap and I love it since it also adds other buttons that the iMac keyboard doesnt have.

Check it out!

Reaction score
slow response

Has anyone noticed the delay in response of the caps lock key? I do embedded firmware development and often use the caps key to type all caps macros. I've been using the i-mac for over a year and still am not used to the caps lock not responding when I 'flick' it. Have to deliberately hold it down for it to activate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Has anyone noticed the delay in response of the caps lock key? I do embedded firmware development and often use the caps key to type all caps macros. I've been using the i-mac for over a year and still am not used to the caps lock not responding when I 'flick' it. Have to deliberately hold it down for it to activate.
THAT'S DELIBERATE. PEOPLE KEPT HITTING THE CAPS LOCK KEY ACCIDENTALLY.

There's also one on the Eject key.

Reaction score
Am I not the only one who actually likes the new iMac keyboards?

No. I have heard of two others in California and one in Geogia. Otherwise, thats about it.:)

The Apple aluminum keyboard is well made - far better than most PC cheapies - but I couldn't use it either. For a couple of days I was back down to using two fingers and started to look for an on-screen mouse keyboard.

Fortunately, the Mac will use other USB keyboards just fine. There is an downloadable apt called DoubleCommand that will reside in the System Preferences that will allow you to tailor a PC keyboard to be closer to a native keyboard. Works very well. Even my old 1990 IBM key clicker with the PS2 connector works fine through a PS2 to USB adapter cable.

Konan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
I use a Logitech G15 with my Macbook and it works fine :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.