Mail Smart Mailbox Question...

Reaction score
I've created a smart mailbox for mail i want to group together, but i cannot find any setting that allows me to actually move the messages to that smart mailbox. They just copy and the original is still left in my inbox. Is there a way to actually have messages with rules applied get directly sent to that mailbox, or am i going about this the wrong way. I had it set up this way in Outlook and am trying to do the same thing. Thank you in advance for everyones help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Read up on "Rules" and "Smart Mailboxes" in Mail's help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Have you tried dragging and dropping the e-mail into the smart mailbox from your inbox.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
What you need is a "rule". Smart mailboxes, like smart albums in iTunes and iPhoto only reference items in the main library. In rules, you can say that if a message meets XX criteria, move it to XX mailbox/folder. Do not use smart folders for this, create your own folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.