• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Only 58% of Netbook buyers "very satisfied"...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
A new survey shows a disproportionate number of netbook buyers aren't happy with what they bought. A full 60% actually thought they were getting something comparable to a regular laptop. No small wonder here why Apple has made a conscious choice to not participate in this market segment. It would DESTROY their image.

MacDailyNews

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Well, I'm extremely happy with my netbook, it performs as well as my chunky iBook G4 did (now sold) but much more portable, mobile internet, TV streaming, music etc. - and for anything really intensive I use the iMac upstairs.
I would still definately go for an Apple netbook though, should they bring one out.

Cheers :)

Hugh

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I'm extremely happy with my netbook, it performs as well as my chunky iBook G4 did (now sold) but much more portable, mobile internet, TV streaming, music etc. - and for anything really intensive I use the iMac upstairs.
I would still definately go for an Apple netbook though, should they bring one out.

Well the article didn't say NO ONE was satisfied. But Apple is not going to make a product that will lead to such low numbers in overall satisfaction, so don't expect one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Oh no, I'm not expecting an Apple netbook, I just said I would probably buy one if it was on offer.
I bought this one (Advent 4211 - an MSI Wind clone) having done all the research and knowing the limitations to expect.

Hugh

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm not that surprised. Actually, I'm surprised that the number isn't higher. I don't think I would ever buy one. They're small, underpowered and have small HDs. Sure, many people will appreciate this for the price tag but when they realize that using it for more than web browsing and checking email isn't really feasible, it becomes obvious why they are relatively cheap.

I was hoping however that this would have been a good opportunity for Linux to get a greater foothold amongst the general computer user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
hmm... that's pretty funny. just proves how foolish most people are when it comes to buying things before researching it. i have a samsung nc-10 and i use it for web browsing on the couch and taking to and from work. does exactly what i bought it for.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
does exactly what i bought it for.
This helps to prove my position - you knew what you were getting it for and thus, you aren't dissatisfied. I'm not exactly sure who to blame here - manufacturers or consumers...

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh no, I'm not expecting an Apple netbook, I just said I would probably buy one if it was on offer.
I bought this one (Advent 4211 - an MSI Wind clone) having done all the research and knowing the limitations to expect.

Hugh

Ah yes, but you are what seems to be the rare buyer who knew what he was getting into beforehand and made an educated choice. Which is how any purchase should be made.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which is how any purchase should be made.
Should is the operative word there. How many people actually buy what they should as opposed to what they want? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
I personally won't get a netbook....a standard laptop is small as it is for my fat fingers, I'd hate to try and type on a netbook....thems are small keys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Here is my $0.02:

1) Anyone not researching what they are buying is in trouble of not liking it. Dare I say, if they were to expand that research into other areas of systems, they would find a lot of disappointment across the board because so many people just walk into a best buy or *ugh* a walmart and walk out with a computer only to find it won't do what they think it will, or isn't as expandable as they thought, etc. Same thing even with apple products, I've seen several listings on ebay and craigslist where the people were selling their system because they thought it was more or different than it was (most of those listings I've seen have been in regard to the air. People really need to understand what they are buying before they buy it.

2) Netbooks are for a very narrow segment of the market. Although some stores may be pushing them as just as good as laptops, it's not the netbooks fault - it's advertising that makes them look like enticing (like from Walmart or Tiger Direct even) low cost alternatives to laptops without giving good info. Netbooks are meant really for people who need something small, portable and able to get the job done. Netbooks are extremely low powered yes, but they will run the basics that is usually required by someone who travels often (including Office, internet, email, etc.)

3) Vansmiths comment about small HD's is only partially true these days. It all depends on the netbook you look for and are wanting. Some have fairly large HDs in them. The Dell Mini 10 has as big as 250gig HD in it. The current lineup of MSI Wind w/ 10" screen has 160gig HD, as does several of the 9" eee pcs (the model line has some ssd models and some HD models). The ones with smaller HDs are now the older models, the smallest models (ie: eee pc 7") or models with SSDs in them.

4) Apple *could* make a netbook that was more powerful then a traditional netbook by not using the atom processor. They near about do with the macbook air considering its past configuration (1.6 or 1.8 processor, now 1.8 or 2.13; they could make a 1.6 c2d or 1.8 c2d netbook). They could make a smaller laptop with less space along the edges and still maintain a full size or near full size keyboard, and still use a standard core2duo processor in it. Since they control their systems, they could limit the sales of them to only stores and resellers that sell through brick and mortar locations (ie: would be available at apple stores by not online) so that the people in the store can make sure the person fully understands what they are looking at to make sure they will be happy with their purchase. I think the biggest problem would be price. I'm sure its hard for many people to lay down the price tag of a macbook air when compared to the capability of a general macbook or the new macbook pro; and I'd bet a small lightweight system from apple would probably be in the same price range as the air is now. Do I think they should enter the netbook market? I still see pros and cons to both sides of the argument.

Now, do I own a netbook? I used to yes. Why did I get rid of it? I needed to be able to do video work and some other demanding tasks I used to not have to do while out and about instead of just net/email/etc. so the netbook went so I'd have some money to get a macbook. It fit my needs when I bought it, and I was quite pleased with it. The only annoying thing was a few key placements which was a learned change; other then that it was a great little computer.

Like I said, just my $0.02 :D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3) Vansmiths comment about small HD's is only partially true these days. It all depends on the netbook you look for and are wanting. Some have fairly large HDs in them. The Dell Mini 10 has as big as 250gig HD in it. The current lineup of MSI Wind w/ 10" screen has 160gig HD, as does several of the 9" eee pcs (the model line has some ssd models and some HD models). The ones with smaller HDs are now the older models, the smallest models (ie: eee pc 7") or models with SSDs in them.
You are correct :).

That said, I can only guess that many of the people in this study are still using older netbooks. It would be interesting to see the break down in terms of who was using what. I also wonder if people are dissatisfied for reasons other than HD such as processor speed or screen size. In other words, I wonder if the dissatisfaction with the processor and/or screen size is taking precedence over the what used to be smaller HDs (or maybe increased HD sizes are because of complaints).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd imagine, in all honesty, I'm not sure.

It would be interesting to see a more complete breakdown on complaints. I notice a big number in that article is that:
"65% said they bought their netbooks expecting better performance"
which leads me to think - these people thought they would perform similar to a dual core 1.6GHz machine. Yes, the atom is HT, but that really isn't the same as a dual core machine.

I'm thinking the number of satisfied responses might go up a bit with the newer systems with bigger hard drives, but I'd bet they would then start complaining about overall performance.

I know a lot of people that owned the Dell mini 9 that got all excited about the dell mini 10 once the 9 was EOL'd got really upset once they found out that the default config on the mini 10 had a 1024x576 screen rather then the netbook fairly industry standard 1024x600 - it may not seem like a lot, but when it's already hard to squeeze some programs to fit on a 600 pixel high screen (or depend on a specific min vertical rez), that missing 24 pixels can cause some heartache.

Plus, the performance of these things aren't stellar. They are good for what they are meant for (basic office work, net work, etc.) but people who want to watch HD videos or play games, etc. don't seem to always understand that a netbook isn't designed for that, and they are disappointed that they can't.

What is interesting is that some netbooks (ie: Asus N10) now have the 9400m graphics chipset, almost like they are trying to push an already taxed system to be able to do more.

I think netbooks will really shine once (if ever) intel comes out with a dual core atom. A low power, dual core atom paired with a 9400m with a decent 10" to max 11" screen really could replace a "full sized" laptop for a lot of people and keep them happy I think.

For a person who travels heavily for work and wants to really cut down on the size and weight of everything they carry, it's a great alternative. For someone who wants to be able to sit on the couch and surf the net and send emails, it's a great alternative. For the person who wants a general use laptop that can play some games - buy somethin else :)

Of course, regardless of why people are upset - the bottom line still ends up - they didn't really understand what they were getting. Either they didn't research it enough or marketing materials they looked at (without reading real reviews) didn't give them a clear enough picture to understand what they would be dealing with... Or they bought sight-unseen online without going to a store somewhere to really grasp what a netbook is.

Once again, just my humble $0.02 - but I would really be curious if there was a bigger more complete set of stats as to what people did and didn't like and what was enough of a dislike to make them dissatisfied overall.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Of course, regardless of why people are upset - the bottom line still ends up - they didn't really understand what they were getting. Either they didn't research it enough or marketing materials they looked at (without reading real reviews) didn't give them a clear enough picture to understand what they would be dealing with... Or they bought sight-unseen online without going to a store somewhere to really grasp what a netbook is.
I agree. Not a lot of people understand computer terminology and all they see is the price tag and a smaller screen, only to realize that those numbers they saw in the store mean quite a bit when they get home.

Reaction score
Surrey or Sheffield, UK.. or I might even be in Aa
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" (mid-2009 edition), 2.66Ghz, 4GB, 640GB HDD
Reading between the lines here I have to wonder how many Netbook owners were "satisfied" in this survey. I can't imagine many get excited about a netbook purchase as such; maybe for those where they buy it for a purpose and it fits that purpose, they simply consider themselves satisfied.

Personally, "very satisfied" is how I describe owning my iMac since it's a lot of fun and it's a gadget/toy to play with to me as well as a working tool; many might consider a netbook just their work device.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sure if the survey was methodologically sound, "satisfied" was defined as meeting a particular criteria. I'm sure many of these research groups do their best to ensure methodological rigor. Whether they use a particular methodology to meet a particular outcome is a different question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
This helps to prove my position - you knew what you were getting it for and thus, you aren't dissatisfied. I'm not exactly sure who to blame here - manufacturers or consumers...

I definitely think it's the consumers that should do the research before buying something. It doesn't make sense to pay for something and not know what you're getting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I definitely think it's the consumers that should do the research before buying something. It doesn't make sense to pay for something and not know what you're getting.

I agree with one caveat - if you're a consumer who really doesn't know, or understand much about computers and go into a place expecting solid help on getting what's right (or at least help in narrowing down), and the help in the store leads you wrong; then I feel the store bears some responsibility for their actions. Unfortunately, not all stores are like most apple stores or most quality apple resellers that are brick and mortar shops. Many stores just want to make the sale and will push something that is not really in the best interest of the consumer - those are the cases where an uninformed, ignorant and sometimes fearful consumer can get conned into something.

Here's a recent example from a now closed retailer. I went out with my wife and some friends of ours. We were in between dinner and the movie we were going to so we stopped by Circuit City. The wife of the couple we were with wanted a new computer to play WoW on because their old piece of junk wasn't cutting it. Her husband was anxious to make a decision. I suggested he really look at what they wanted it for, and consider what was there for purchase - don't jump, and what is looking like a deal may not be. He focused on one system with the help of the salesman. I tried to dissuade him from the purchase gently (it wasn't very upgradeable, had onboard graphics, was a slimline case (so upgrading is a pain as it took everything half height), etc.), but decided to not be too aggressive because the husband seemed fixated and was convinced the salesman was giving him something good regardless of what I said. They took it home. Within the 2 weeks return period (long before CC was closing its doors) he brought it back frustrated and very upset over the entire transaction. In this case, the husband had an opportunity for good advice, but decided the salesman must know better since he works there (even tho I'm a network admin/IT and until I switched to apple custom built just about any computer I owned to be good mid high end gaming systems (sorry, complete bleeding edge not my game, I like spending money on other stuff ;) ) AND I played WoW at the time!) This isn't to pat myself on the back - but to point out that customers who don't know better trust salesmen in electronics areas to help them make a good decision and many times they really just don't. (I'm not saying ALL the time, as there are many brilliant people working in these stores that give spot on advice - but a layman wouldn't know who was brilliant and who was a moron looking at them)

Personally, I would search for specs I want, then when I have some items in mind I'd research those items to find the best fit. People who don't really know anything about systems sometimes have to do it a little differently - ie: find some systems that appear to be good (or has looks they like, can't even begin to comment on how often i hear that as a criteria for finding a computer), then research and pray you understand the material as presented by the reviewer.

Marketing buzz words can trick people into getting things that aren't as good as they think.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is why I appreciate stores where the employees are on commission and/or direct you to another store to get the proper equipment if they can't provide a solution. Pressure on the employee to make a sale translates into pressure on the customer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Agree with all of the comments above but my thoughts are this:

How many people go to their friends and family and go "Wow come and have a look at the new Macintosh computer I just purchased"? I would think quite a lot. I heck I know I told a couple of people when I got my little workhorse (last revision white 17 inch imac).

But on the other hand how many people go to their friends "Wow look at the new netbook I got. Oh I love it so, just come and check it out"? I think not nearly as many as the above. Actually I don't know of anyone who does.

People buy them cause they are cheap, or ultra-portable, or good for a mobile email reader on the road etc. I don't think anyone buys them for their computational powers as they are very limited. Sure some people do not do their research but even they know the difference between a great computer and a netbook.

My point is netbooks are there to forfill a need. No one wants a netbook. They want some suped up beast for a computer. I need to have a neet book for this or that reason. And it's this reason Apple should not enter this market. Because lots of us need a Macintosh, we also want it too. Unlike a PC. Sure I need bootcamp at times but I don't really want it there.

I want my Mac and I need my mac.
I might need a netbook one day but sure don't really want it if something else better is available. And I'm sure a lot of people are in the same situation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.