• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Avi To Dvd - Audio Cutting Out

Reaction score
Hi folks,

For the last few months I've been happily using iDVD to burn .avi movies to dvd. Everything worked perfectly until yesterday. I burned off a disc and when I played it in the DVD player the audio cut out after about 5 minutes into the movie. I checked the .avi file it came from and it plays with sound all the way through.

Thinking it might be the brand of disk I bought some more expensive ones, selected a different .avi movie and burned that. Again the same thing happens - about 5 or 10 minutes in the audio cuts out on the DVD even though the original .avi is fine.

I tried both the disks in my macbook and the audio is cutting out in the same place, so I know it's not my dvd player.

Has anyone encountered this problem before? Any ideas on soloutions?

I'm using Magic iDVD to burn the disks.

Many thanks,
Michael.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
I never use Magic iDVD. I just create a new project, and do it all manually.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks Leopard
I've never really figured out my way around iDVD so I don't know how to create a project manually. If you could outline how to do this I'm happy to give it a try.

I've tried switching the project settings to PAL which I hoped might be helpful but no....

I've burned the same .avi using the same batch of disks on my wife's Windows machine and the resulting movie works perfectly. I again tried burning a couple of other avi movies with iDVD on my macbook, and the same thing keeps happening i.e the movies plays fine and then always about 7 - 8 minutes in the audio cuts out.

I know there has to be somebody out there who knows why this is happening!!!! Help....!!!!

OP
V
Reaction score
I remember having some problem with iDVD last year and when I cleared my hard drive to leave 15+ gb of space it seemed to sort the problem out...... Would this have any bearing on burning DVDs??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.