• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Importing large video files into iPhoto

Reaction score
I have a basic digital camera that I use when out kayaking - Fuji J15. iPhoto imports stills and short clips fine. However, when I do a long recording - 2GB - iPhoto sees the file, but when I try to import, I get the "preparing to import" screen and the turning wheel but nothing happens even after hours. Is the file just too big? If so, how could I split it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB m, 640GB hd, 8x dbl-layr SuperDrive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M grphcs
Hi, I had this problem with a 5 minute video I took that I was trying to upload to my old Mac Mini. I used the editing program in my actual camera to edit the video in half (delete the last half of the video) and instead of overwriting the clip, I made it a new file. Then I went back to the ORIGINAL clip and deleted the first half of the clip, making sure to have a little bit of overlap in between the two clips where they were supposed to match up.

They then imported fine and I just pasted them back together in iMovie. Depending on how long your clip is, you could probably clip it into thirds, quarters or whatever this way. Your camera may even have a way of splitting the clip up before importing it rather than having to make new copies of different parts of the film.

There may be a better way to do this, but I am very new and had no other equipment at that point. Also, I see you have had no responses yet, so I thought I'd throw that in there! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.