• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

IMovie09 and the dreaded spinning ball

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac pro os x 10.5
Has anyone come across this issue ?
Using iMovie09 8.0.3 on a Mac OS X 10.5.7
When I create a iMovie project everything behaves well, until I insert a clip from one of my photos (these live on my HDD but not in the iPhoto library) - the .jpg is not big, about 150k. Then the spinning ball appears, it lasts for about 15-30 secs and then appears again. Eventually it stops and I can do some more editing but after a very short time (say 15secs) it appears again and the process repeats. What's going on ? Is this the automatic save feature kicking in ? If so, how do I stop it ? If I delete the image, this does not help, like the file has been corrupted ? I repeat that the problems start only after a .jpg image is inserted as a clip.
Looking forward to a solution and/or comments
Adam

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac pro os x 10.5
Have I found the cause of my own problem ?

My Mac has 4 x HDD and I usually keep all my movies and projects on HDD1 Just by accident, I created a new project on a HDD2. Everyting worked ok, until I moved the project files to HDD1 (I used the drag and drop functionality within the iMovie09 app). The project was copied to HDD1, and I deleted it (again using iMovie09 'move project to trash' function) from HDD2. It was then that the spinning ball problems appeared. Every few seconds the spinning ball would appear, last for maybe 5sec, I could then continue editing until the ball appeared again. Any comments, anyone?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.