Purchased a MacBook Pro!

Reaction score
I went to my local Apple store today and I came home with a 15'' MacBook Pro! It is definitely a learning experience making the transition from Windows. I have a few n00bish question:

1.) Can I make my Safari browser fullscreen like in Windows?
2.) How do I go "Home" in Safari?
3.) Can I right click?
4) I have wireless in my house, but my Mac gets an error when trying to connect to the network. My HP Pavillion laptop connects just fine. Any suggestions?

Oh, and Garage Band is awesome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Hey, congratulations on your purchase. You'll love it if you just keep in mind that Leopard can be quite different from Windows, but there are some similarities too.

1). Most Mac apps don't go full screen when you hit the green button on the left in the window. It's not a maximize button, it will only open the window just enough for the content within it to be visible. There are a few different reasons and theories for this, but the bottom line is most apps will require you to drag the window corner to get it to go full screen. But the app will usually remember that window size and keep it that way the next time you open it, and hitting the green button toggles between the user-defined window size and the standard size.

2.) Choose History>Home from the menu or use the keyboard shortcut, Shift-Command-H. Shortcuts are used extensively in Mac apps. I don't know why there isn't a Home button in Safari, but then I use Firefox. I would check the Help menu of any app if you have questions. It usually has some good answers, that's how I found out how to get to your home page just now.

3) Yes. If you have a mouse you can right click for contextual menus, even an Apple Mighty Mouse, which looks like it has just one button but it actually has four. If you are using your trackpad, you can enable it so that a double-fingered tap acts as a right click. Just go to System Preferences (under the Apple Menu which is always at the far left of the menu bar) and choose Trackpad. Where it lists the Two Fingers gestures, check the "Secondary Tap" box. Another way to "right click" and bring up contextual menus is to click on something while holding down the Control key, known as Control-clicking.

4) Is the wireless connection password-protected? If you click the Airport icon on the right side of the menu bar and see a little padlock icon next to the connection's name, you'll need a password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Concerning question 2, you can add a Home button to the toolbar. Right-click on the bar and you should see the option "Customize Toolbar" appear. Click on it and you'll see a menu pop down with all sorts of buttons you can add to the toolbar. Simply drag the Home button to the place you'd like it to be and you're done.

Conversely, if you want to remove an item from the toolbar, just bring up the same menu and drag items you don't want out of it. They should disappear in a puff of smoke.

Good luck and enjoy your new Mac!

OP
cam-89
Reaction score
Thanks! Can I use a regular optical PC mouse, or must I have a special Apple mouse?

Oh, and my wireless network is password protected, but even when I typed in the correct password it gives me an error message. This was when I started my MacBook for the very first time. I've since been connected via ethernet and haven't tried wireless since.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Thanks! Can I use a regular optical PC mouse, or must I have a special Apple mouse?

Most any USB mouse or keyboard will work with the Mac. My guess is yours will work with it as well. Plug it in and see what happens.

T

todd51

I don't even use a mighty mouse because I love my right-clicking! I just use a simple Logitech mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Yep, any mouse should work. As for the wireless, you could try going to System Preferences>Network and turning on the Airport option. Or you could open Airport Utility and see if it works with your base station.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP | 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo | 4 GB Ram | 250 GB HDD
I don't even use a mighty mouse because I love my right-clicking! I just use a simple Logitech mouse.

the mighty ouse is capable of right clicking. However, I would have to say that it IS one of the worst mice out there. Not comfortable and the scroll whell is not fun to use imo. I like the Razer pro click mobile mouse which can be found for ~$30 online

T

todd51

the mighty ouse is capable of right clicking. However, I would have to say that it IS one of the worst mice out there. Not comfortable and the scroll whell is not fun to use imo. I like the Razer pro click mobile mouse which can be found for ~$30 online

Ohh, yea your right. Now that I think about it the lab I used to work in had a few mighty mouse and one time the right-click was WAY too sensitive on that side of the mouse. I would want to left-click and it would end up thinking it was a right-click.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
As a quick additional response to your first question, if you were asking about a true full-screen feature for Safari, then I would recommend a plug-in called Glims. Once you install the plugin, you can use the shortcut ^⌘F (that is, control-command-F) to get a truly full-screen version of Safari. If that is the kind of full-screen you were asking about (rather than simply maximizing the window–in which case Oneironaut answered your question), I think you'd like Glims. It also adds a slew of other features that you might like, but you can disable them as you'd like otherwise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.