• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Mac Mini and Tiger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
do a search in the forums, theres entire threads on this subject.

Reaction score
Yeah, this is like the sixth thread on this... search for other ones in anything goes, and imac and mac mini topics. but to be brief, It will run, but might not be fully functional.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
macmaniac said:
Will the Mac Mini be able to handle Tiger?

All Macs (including the mini) will be shipping with Tiger installed soon after it's initial release, so it wouldn't make much sense for Apple to ship a machine with an OS that it can't run effectively.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
shaun89 said:
Yeah, this is like the sixth thread on this... search for other ones in anything goes, and imac and mac mini topics. but to be brief, It will run, but might not be fully functional.

Although you are absolutely correct, I don't think I would phrase it like that..I mean, it's kind of like telling someone that car without automatic windshield wipers wouldn't be "fully functional."

It wil run absolutely fine. It will be faster than Panther, as it has been optimized. However, a new technoloy, called Core Image, and Core Video, will not be able to run on it. Traditionally, and as of right now with Panther, and every other OS, image and video rendering is majorly done in the CPU. Core Image and Core video use the Video Card or the Graphics Processing Unit(GPU) to do all image and video rendering and calculations. Core Image and Core Video will increase speed for many users. However, MOST users, even if they can take advantage of these latest technologies, will NOT notice a difference.

In addition, computer which are not equipped to handle Core Image and Core Video(Including the current iBooks, Mac Mini, and eMac) will not be able to take advantage of the technologies, and just like to today will do all Image and Video Rendering and processing in the CPU rather than GPU, therefore resulting in Slower(notice it is slower than GPU, not slow period) performance.

Ugh..Sorry for the long post.. I figured I would write one comprehensive post about this, so we don't have to repeat it.

Feel feel to *sticky* this if you'd like.

Reaction score
When i said not fully fuctional, i meant some features wont work. But nicely put. :d

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.