• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How to get back a movie thrown away in the garbage which was the emtied

Reaction score
I need you help, please...
I lost a very big important file: I created a movie with imovie and wanted to create the dvd with idvd and then... most likely the imovie file was thrown in the garbage and the garbage was emptied.
I lost this big important file, it's nomore on my machine.

BUT it should still be on the disk somewhere right? it shouldn't have been over-written...
Does any of you know a programm, a software which I could use to fish that movie again?
Did any of you did encounter this same pb? How did you do?
Thank you very very much in advance for your help,
I will be so grateful...
looking forward to your advices...

OP
A
Reaction score
Software to get files which were thrown in the garbage back

I would like to mention that this file which I lost is for my PhD...
Therefore unfortunately it was a VERY important file and I need to solve this pb quite urgently...
Thank you all for the concern you'll give to my request.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Unfortunately, unlike Windows, OS X tends to write over the information which has been 'deleted' almost instantly. Plus, it will have broken it up into lots of little bits and scattered them all over the hard drive. I don't think you're going to be able to get it back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White 2Ghz 2Gig RAM 120Gig HDD
were you using time machine?

its at times like this that you realise just how important it is to be using.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's not that bleak. You just need an undelete utility (I would refrain from using your Mac for the time being to avoid the data being overwritten).

Take a look at these programs:

FileSalvage - Mac OS X Data Recovery, Undelete Files, Rescue Lost Data

Boomerang Data Recovery Software - MacOS X Version

Mac Data Recovery Software, Mac Data Rescue, Digital Data Recovery Disk for Mac

They're a little pricey, but should do the trick.

Also, regardless of whether you do or don't recover the file, take this as a lesson of the importance of backups. Go out and invest in an external hard drive that is equal to or greater than the capacity of your drive and use Time Machine to automate backups. This is particularly important for any machine you're using to do sensitive work on.

There are two types of computer users in this world, those that have lost data and those that will...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (late 2008), OS 10.6.2, FCE 4.0.1, CS 1
Annela: I surely do hope you recovered your dissertation. It is a heck of a large investment to lose. When I relocated in the middle of my dissertation (back when we used floppies), I mailed a hardcopy and, the next day, mailed a disk to my new address. I carried a hardcopy and a disk in my car. My wife carried a hardcopy and a disk in her car. Why so anal? Because I had already deleted the data from the university's mainframe. Tech services was able to recover it but I learned a pretty good lesson about backing up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.