Should I buy AppleCare?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MacBook - 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD iPhone Specs: white 3GS - 32GB
As the title reads, should I? But before you hop to say "yes!" there are some reasons considering why I might not get it.

First, I do intend to keep my MB for another year or two, and I can get a discount on AppleCare since I'm going to college in September. But, this summer I plan on upgrading the HD and RAM, not supplied from Apple (i.e. Seagate and Crucial, respectively). If I get both of those upgrades, then go to an Apple store and ask for AppleCare, would they "cover" the "non-Apple" hardware?

I apologize if this is a n00b question.

T

todd51

I know this might come from another member, but try to search the forums before asking, this has come up many times.

To answer your question, I would get it. I definitely think it's worth it. I purchased Applecare and my DVD drive went out, took 20 minutes of my time to go to the Apple store to get it fixed. I know upgrading the RAM will NOT void your warranty, but I'm not sure about the hard drive. The hard drives are easier to swap out than those of a MBP (what I have) so you might want to check on that.

I'm about 90% sure that Applecare will NOT cover the other RAM and hard drive that you purchase, so if they break down, it will be at your own expense. Just buy a good decent brand like Crucial for memory and you shouldn't have a problem with it.

I like Applecare, I just bought it for my new iPod Touch because it covers the battery, so I know if my battery becomes crap I can just have Apple replace it for free.

My vote is yes, get Applecare!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I would get it. The mb has user replaceable memory and hard-drive for the time you need more, without voiding your warranty or applecare.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
I've had AppleCare on my two previous iMacs. On the old G5, both the SuperDrive and the power supply died (separate occasions) and AppleCare covered both, easily paying for the price of AppleCare. On the newer Intel iMac, I've had 0 problems and so it hasn't really "paid for itself" but it does afford peace of mind.

I haven't decided on whether to get it for my new MBP, but I'm leaning toward no. You do have a year from purchase to decide.

And no, they won't cover the HD or RAM that you upgrade. It will not void your warrantee by replacing either, but they will not be covered if they break. Everything else on the computer will be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I know this might come from another member, but try to search the forums before asking, this has come up many times.

Thank you!

Reaction score
It should help its re-sale value, if you sell within the next 2 years.

I bought it for my previous macbook - but I had no problems at all for the 2 years I owned it.

I shall probably be taking out Applecare when my current macbook comes up for 12 months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White 2Ghz 2Gig RAM 120Gig HDD
Don't buy direct from Apple though, you can get Applecare much cheaper by going on eBay and buying from a reseller.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apple-Care-AppleCare-MacBook-Mac-Book-Air-3-Yr-Warranty_W0QQitemZ280351221556QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item41463c2734&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1690|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

Reaction score
Don't buy direct from Apple though, you can get Applecare much cheaper by going on eBay and buying from a reseller.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apple-Care-AppleCare-MacBook-Mac-Book-Air-3-Yr-Warranty_W0QQitemZ280351221556QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item41463c2734&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1690|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

I bought mine from Apple. I decided not to buy from Ebay, as the relatively small saving did not outweigh the possibility that Apple might decline to honour it from this source.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White 2Ghz 2Gig RAM 120Gig HDD
Small saving? They are less than half the price!

Reaction score
Small saving? They are less than half the price!

IIRC, the difference was ~ £50 (£199 v. £149). This was in August 2007.

I have not looked recently - but will be doing so.

OP
GK27V6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok thanks a a lot guys! And sorry to those that I didn't use the search.

I like Applecare, I just bought it for my new iPod Touch because it covers the battery, so I know if my battery becomes crap I can just have Apple replace it for free.

How much did that cost you? I may consider getting it for my touch as well.

T

todd51

Ok thanks a a lot guys! And sorry to those that I didn't use the search.

How much did that cost you? I may consider getting it for my touch as well.

Not a problem about the Search thing, we're all guilty of it, just wanted to remind you it's there! :)

The Applecare for my iPod Touch was $59.00 plus shipping since I bought it online. Below is a part from an email I received from Apple telling me about what it all covers. When I read about the battery part, I purchased it immediately!

"Our own Apple experts can walk you through almost everything, from connecting to your computer and syncing with iTunes to watching video, uploading pictures, and more. You also get global repair or replacement service coverage that includes parts and labor on your iPod, its battery, and included accessories."

There was some fine print at the bottom saying that they wouldn't work on the battery unless it was a depletion of 50% or more from the original capacity.

OP
GK27V6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a problem about the Search thing, we're all guilty of it, just wanted to remind you it's there! :)

The Applecare for my iPod Touch was $59.00 plus shipping since I bought it online. Below is a part from an email I received from Apple telling me about what it all covers. When I read about the battery part, I purchased it immediately!

"Our own Apple experts can walk you through almost everything, from connecting to your computer and syncing with iTunes to watching video, uploading pictures, and more. You also get global repair or replacement service coverage that includes parts and labor on your iPod, its battery, and included accessories."

There was some fine print at the bottom saying that they wouldn't work on the battery unless it was a depletion of 50% or more from the original capacity.

Ok sounds great! I'll definitely consider getting that then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.8GHz 4GB RAM 500GB HD NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB
Hmm, I haven't considered getting the Applecare since I insure my stuff through Safeware(.com). I had my Dell portable insured through them and the hinge broke. I sent it in to their repair facility and they couldn't fix it so they just gave me a cash settlement of 800 bucks. However, macman812 on Ebay seems to sell the Applecare cards for less than 50% so I may consider it now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 MBP (mid 2009), 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD. 24" Cinema Display. 32GB iphone 3gs, 32GB iPad
I just got mine off ebay from macman812. Great service and it worked!

Purchased one from Macman812 as well. Registered fine with Apple. I really wonderhow he does it. Unless Apple gives dealers a tremendous markup on Applecare.

Reaction score
Hmmm - £75 is a LOT cheaper than £195 for my macbook. :)

Looks like I need to check it out further.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13 Inch Aluminum 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB
I had no idea you could buy AppleCare from someone other than Apple. Has anyone here ever had a problem trying to use it when something goes wrong? Or had it work out well for them? Just wondering since I am still on the fence about getting it as well. Since they told me when I purchased I had one year I thought I would do my homework so to speak and check into it first. I still don't know if I want to get it. It's a lot of money but then again if I can get it somewhere for cheaper that might be an option.

OP
GK27V6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, so hopefully you're all still subscribed to this thread, I'm gonna go buy it this week. I've decided to go to the Apple store (since I am a student I get a decent discount, and therefore won't rely on eBay for low prices), but I have a question or two:
Do I have to have my laptop with me to buy it? Or can I just go there, ask for AppleCare for MacBook, buy it and then leave?
Also, by "student" I mean I'll be enrolling into college for first year this September, and I have not yet received the student ID card. Should I, or do I have to bring some sort of identification to prove that I am a student? I do have a student number and other various documents proving this status.

Thanks for any input!

Oh, and one more thing, unrelated to topic: I recently upgraded my HD and am gonna sell my old one. I don't have a hard drive enclosure because IMO they're too expensive (at least the ones I know of). So if I go to the Apple store, will they go and delete all my data for me? For free possibly? Staples would charge me $25... I'd rather buy an enclosure with that money

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.