is it possible for garageband to record my keyboard's midi sounds?

Reaction score
hello all! sorry if this is a redundant question, i did use the search feature, but i didn't see anything that would solve my specific problem.
i've been wanting to make music in garageband, so i bought a keyboard. it's a casio ctk-2000. it has a usb port, and i have it plugged into my mac (running osX 10.4.11) right now.
it DOES record into garageband. but it only lets me select the midi sounds that are on my mac -- i.e, it works as just a regular midi controller. my question is, is it possible to get it to record the sounds my actual keyboard makes?
my keyboard has some pretty awesome sounds, IMO. i all but wrote a song on my keyboard, and was very disheartened to find i couldn't get the tones i'd selected when writing it to record. pretty much ruined my hopes for the song, you know?
i downloaded something called MidiO, but i couldn't get it to install/work on my mac. it's possible i'm doing something wrong with that, but i don't know what.
i'll be sticking close to this thread, so if you need any more info from me about my problem, i should be quick to answer. i really appreciate any help, and again, sorry if this has already been answered!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White 2Ghz 2Gig RAM 120Gig HDD
are you trying to get garage band to treat you keyboard as a midi module and in effect send midi instructions to it?

if that is so you would have to record the audio output of your keyboard as a regular instrument.

perhaps it might be easier to see if you can download the instruments your keyboard has on it into garage band as you can purchase extra instruments for it.

as a last resort you could just play your song and record the audio.

Reaction score
Can you control all the software instruments in garageband with the keyboard?
if you can just get a jam pack and you'll be fine. There is always the option to just record straight from the out on the keyboard to the mic jack on your mac. You'll probably need a regular 1/4" guitar cable and an 1/8" adapter for the end to fit the computer.
if you are plugging in the keyboard in this way make sure you make a separate track for it. just pick basic track and it should work fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac OS X 10.4.11 1.25GB RAM 40GB original hard drive,
I happened to have had this exact same issue...

Garageband will NOT record the actual sound output coming out of your keyboard, as said above, it only lets you use the keyboard to control the preexisting midi sounds that come with Garageband. I also agree that the voice selection of the keyboard is far superior to that of the midi computer sounds.

So here's what you do:
Download Audacity for free, which is a sound editing program a lot like Garageband, except with a few less features, however, it WILL record the exact audio output coming from your keyboard through either USB or more likely a jack-to-mini jack cable, which is only a few dollars.
You can then save that sound file as WAV format and open it in itunes and sync it to your ipod etc. or even burn it to a CD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.