apple ibook alternative

Reaction score
Hi, I think I'm going to buying a new computer soon. I've always been a PC person but I'm thinking about making the switch. I think OS X is the coolest thing. I remember coming across a while back an Apple ibook or whatever it's called "alternative." It was apple-compatible laptop. It ran OS X but it wasn't an Apple. I'm cheap... I know. But I can't afford the price Apple wants.

Reaction score
The "hacking OS X to run on something that isn't an Apple" thing is a clear violation of Apple's terms of service, so it's "bad" and you're not likely to find any help here doing it.

That being said, I can tell you that this is more trouble than it's worth. OS X does not run "right" on non-Apple hardware, and has quirks and problems that range from minor annoyances to show stoppers. It's not something you want to do.

Currently if you browse Craigslist or eBay you will find plenty of older Macbooks for sale for relatively cheap. The new ones just came out and the early adopters are selling off their old ones to get new ones.

PS- If you are unfamiliar with Apple's products I recommend a stroll over to their website, Apple.

Reaction score
I'm running an iMac (I believe the first ones with the iSight camera) and I bought it from a third party retailer. I paid a LOT less than I would have going to the Apple store and it runs great. If you do choose to go through Apple, check out the refurbished macs.

I looked into the OS X software running on non-apple hardware. I was quickly turned away by the many, many problems that haunted the trade. It's not worth it. You're much better off to get a good, cheap mac. They're out there. You just have to look for them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
Personally, I would stay away from the PowerPC Macs. Leopard is the last version of OS X that will run on them. With the upcoming Snow Leopard, only intel based Macs will be able to run it.

You can find good deals on refurbed Macs on Apple's website. Refurbished Mac - Apple Store (U.S.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.