Shared PC removal question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 5,2, 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM, under OS X 10.5.6
I now have an Apple computer for the first time since my IIe in the 80s. I'm still getting used to the OS X and its nomenclature, though the concepts are quite similar to Windows.

My nephew has been playing with the Airport, connecting to various, open wireless networks. I turned my comp on this morning and found this in the Finder:

Shared-PC.png

I've tried right-clicking on it in an attempt to bring up a context menu so I could remove this; all I see is Open and Get Info. I've looked through the Finder's menu bar for options. I've looked in SysPrefs|Network and |Sharing, but can't seem to find a way to remove this. Can a kind soul shed some light?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
Hi Yobar,

Let's hope someone can help us out with this, I just ran into a similar situation. The only difference I have on my Shared list is mac plus a series of numbers and characters and if I click on Get Info, it says PC Server to which I can connect to as a guest.

Gene

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks like someone in your close proximity is broadcasting an unprotected signal. Probably a neighbor. Your nephew may have logged on to their signal. Typically in my neighborhood, I pick up 3 or 4 networks. Several are unprotected, others are protected.

Open System Preferences, Network, and look for the box tab that states "Network Name". Press the down arrow and view all the networks (wireless broadcasts) that your machine can detect.

To get rid of it, open Finder, select preferences, remove check from box that says "connected servers" under the heading SHARED. You might also want to open System Preferences, select Sharing, and make sure that you have everything unchecked except perhaps if you are using a home network and sharing a printer.

Regards.

OP
Yobar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 5,2, 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM, under OS X 10.5.6
Looks like someone in your close proximity is broadcasting an unprotected signal. Probably a neighbor. Your nephew may have logged on to their signal. Typically in my neighborhood, I pick up 3 or 4 networks. Several are unprotected, others are protected.

Exactly what I thought. Yes, several networks that come and go.

Open System Preferences, Network, and look for the box tab that states "Network Name". Press the down arrow and view all the networks (wireless broadcasts) that your machine can detect.

To get rid of it, open Finder, select preferences, remove check from box that says "connected servers" under the heading SHARED. You might also want to open System Preferences, select Sharing, and make sure that you have everything unchecked except perhaps if you are using a home network and sharing a printer.

Regards.

Is there no way to remove just the one connection? This solution would block any other server being shown in Finder. I tried it anyway, removing both Connected Servers and Bonjour Computers. I closed and reopened Finder, but the pictured PC under Shared still remains.

Thanks for the heads-up on checking Shared. That was one of the first things I did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base

Thanks Chscag,

I did all of the above and the one way I could "get rid of it" was to uncheck the following from the Finder preferences:

- Back to my Mac
- Connected Servers
- Bonjour Computers

I do have a home network, my "main" unit (iMac 24) is hardwired to my Airport Extreme base station whereas my GF's Mac Mini is on wireless and we do share a printer.

Now, after unchecking everything (to get rid of that macxxxxxxxxxx), Shared is gone from the Finder's sidebar.

Cheers,
Gene

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.